I am in the military and will be moving into Brevard County in June. I will likely be there 3-4ish years.

Asked by Paul Gallaher, 62220 Sat Apr 19, 2008

Am I goofy to even consider buying property there considering the Space Shuttle Program will be shutting down then and thousands of jobs will be lost?

Answers

12
Tman, , 30642
Sun Apr 20, 2008
Paul, good morning ...

Thank You for keeping us safe.!

I don't think you're being goofy at all - just very smart.

I remember when the Challenger went down in January 28, 1986 ...

10,000 folks were out of work for the next 20 or 30 months until all of the finger pointing was over and Endeavour got the nod -- and even that took almost 5 years ..

Besides all of the engineers and designers that are involved .. you have folks from lawn care and pool cleaners to roofers and painters in other parts of that county that derive a large living off of the simple things that go on.

I would wait for 3 reasons ...

1.) see whats going to happen with the fall elections ...

2.) the Shuttle situation.. .. refer back to reason #1.

3.) it's a nice area, but property values ballooned there 2/3 years ago, and you're now seeing them stutter-step down ... you'll see them come down another 10/12% in the next 10/12 months.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/opinion/orl-ed03108apr03…

I'm not one for renting, but waiting is a whole different situation ...

I would rent, I would save, I would watch, I would save even more .. the worst thing that could happen is you saved a bunch of $$ and you're renting a really nice home close to the beach for 50% off...

Good luck and happy hunting.!

: ^)
Tman, , 30642
Mon Apr 21, 2008
Paul, good morning ...

I see the last link I left isn't streaming ... if it doesn't link you can follow it through:

Robert Block and Aaron Deslatte | Sentinel Staff Writers
March 10, 2008 via the Orlando Sentinel:

"..Florida Space Coast faces tough future when shuttle program ends
COUNTDOWN TO HARDSHIP.."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/space/orl-shuttle1008mar10…

-
Arthur Jacks…, , Palm Bay, FL
Sat Apr 19, 2008
Hi Paul,
Right now it looks like the program will end at abut two years from now. There is also talk of another pogram to begin by the year 2013. Right now we are in a buyers market and there a great deals in the market, both on and off the beach. The ending of the Space Shuttlee program will have some impact on the county, but this market like others will bounce back. Why not start your search now to see what's available. Feel free to contact me at artmon@bellsouth.net
321-544-0929
Denise Shock…, Agent, Rockledge, FL
Mon May 26, 2008
Hi Paul,

Congratulations! I am happy to hear that you found something. Also, on this Memorial Day, I would like to thank you for your service to our country and for keeping us safe, especially our children and grandchildren! Thank you to your family for thier sacrifices also.

As I answered before, I think you are being wise, for positive reasons. This will give a chance to look around for yourself and see what is going on in Brevard County. I disagree also about homes continuing to go down 10 to 12%. Even our local media has noriced that the Brevard real estate market is stabalizing.

Those of us who lived here a lifetime have been through many ups and downs with the space program. We all disagree with the gloom and doom that is only one perspective. You will find when you get here that the Brevard County economy is much mroe than just the space program. While we are proud of our contribution to the space program, we are much more diverse as far as our economy than we were in the 70's and 80's.

My father-in-law, along with all of us, attended the 50th anniverssary of America's first sattelite, the Explorer 1 earlier this year. The enthusiasm and optimism for the space program was abundantly evident in the room full of space pioneers.

All I ask of you when you get here is to have fun. There is so much to do in Brevard and surrounding areas and we are rich in history. I hope you and your family enjoy it! Good luck and take care.

Denise Shockey
Web Reference:  http://www.denisehsockey.com
Paul Gallaher, Both Buyer And Seller, 62220
Mon May 26, 2008
Thanks all. We decided to rent and got a home we couldn't even get close to making the mortgage payment on for our monthly rent. Thanks to you all for advice, especially TMAN.
Denise Shock…, Agent, Rockledge, FL
Mon Apr 21, 2008
Hi Paul,

Thank you for your service to our country and for all of us!

The market is a complicated place right now, and it can be unraveled. You need to gather as much information as you can get and make an informed decision. One option wouyd be to rent for a litle while and get to know the area. While renting may not be a great decision investment wise, a short period of renting to be able to look around could be wise. 'There are a great deal of really nice rental options currently at affordable prices.

Another area you may want to look at is short sales or bank owned propertiee (REO). While these can be difficult and tricky, a realtor who works with these can find you great deal if you are willing to wait. Short sales and REO homes take longer for the process once an offer is made, as in both there are either one or two banks involved. I have had buyer cleints that have recently closed on some really nice ones. Brevard County has plenty of short sales and REO properties to pick from.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. I work with an atorney who is an expert in short sales, and his help is truly a blessing. Take care and good luck.

Denise Shockey
321-446-4994
http://www.deniseshockey.com
Web Reference:  http://www.deniseshockey.com
Mark Palace, Agent, Satellite Beach, FL
Sun Apr 20, 2008
Dear Paul: Thanks for serving in the United States military. I am a veteran myself....served in the U.S.M.C. I would highly recommend that you buy real property ASAP, since we are currently experiencing a GREAT buyers' market. In addition to being a real estate broker, I am a real estate investor. As I write these words, I am anxiously awaiting the answer from the seller of a property that I am trying to purchase. Prices are low and Florida's Space Coast is a great place to invest. Furthermore, when you purchase your home here, you will enjoy tax write-offs with respect to your interest paid on your loan and the property taxes that you pay to the Brevard County Property Appraiser. I would be happy to consult with you further regarding your real estate investment questions, comments and/or concerns. Also, feel free to search thousand of property yourself at our corporate website: http://palacepropertiesonline.com/default.aspx. I am also a member of USAA. I live in Indian Harbour Beach, FL, which is an upscale beach community just 3 miles south of Patrick A.F.B. I would love to help you. Give us a call.

Mark Palace, CEO/Founder
Palace Properties International, Inc.
http://www.PalacePropertiesOnline.com
321.773.5611
321.704.9305

Our mission is to provide the best service possible to our customers and clients and to be ever mindful of your needs. We achieve true success only by placing you first.

Palace Properties International is a member of the Chamber of Commerce, Melbourne Area Association of Realtors, Florida Association of Realtors, National Association of Realtors and World Properties.

Whether you want to invest in California, Virginia, the Carolinas, Florida or elsewhere, we look forward to working with and for you, your family and your friends regarding your and their real estate pursuits. We take advantage of our elite and prestigious professional real estate network of top producing, pre-qualified Realtors that specialize in their respective geographical areas.

Company history
With a rich and diverse international background, the staff at Palace Properties International speaks nine languages, has lived and traveled in over 20 countries and possess multiple advanced postgraduate academic university degrees. Kelly and Mark Palace own the firm along with several other thriving businesses in central Florida.

Mark, you truly are the Somerset Oceanfront Specialist. I really appreciate the way you have worked with me as an owner of two units. I know listing with you is the right choice as you are well connected both in the local community and to the international buyers. Each time I talk to you, it seems you have my best interest in mind. Thank you!” S. Veal, MD 03/22/08
- Dr. Steven Veal, Medical Doctor and Real Estate Investor 3/23/08

I met Mark Palace at the Curves Vibrant Womens Conference and decided to have Palace Properties help me find a place to rent or buy. He had a place within an hour and I could see it that evening after work. Mark works hard for his clients and always kept in contact with me by e-mails and phone calls when I needed to talk to him. Never had to wait long for a call back. He is very professional, courteous and respectful. There are some realtors out there that should take lessons from Mark Palace, Palace Properties.
- Patricia Kane, BRPH Architects/Engineers, Inc 7/24/07

We contacted Mark on a Friday, saw houses on a Sunday, and had a new address on Monday. Mark is very dedicated to continuously searching for appropriate properties, while keeping us updated with each new finding. His efforts significantly helped us with a stressful search for a new home.
- Sam and Melissa Herron-Goldman, United States Air Force 7/12/07

Mark, Good morning…It has been a sincere pleasure working with you and I greatly appreciate your business. It is so refreshing to meet someone that treats their customers with respect and puts their customer’s interests FIRST! Your work ethic and high regard for your customers are in line with mine and I look forward to a long working relationship with you…this is why I feel confident recommending you to MY customers who have homes to sell. I know that they will be in good hands with you and you will do everything to move their home quickly so they can close…Thanks again for being my #1 choice for Realtors and for truly treating your customers like Royalty!
- Darlene Salmon, Mercedes Homes 2/18/07

In March 2006, we were scheduled to move out of our hurricane-damaged home into a rental house. We had looked at the house and had discussed all the terms and conditions with the landlord. However, since the landlord had to leave to out of country, they left the leasing in the hands on a local rental lease company. The local rental lease company had standard lease agreements which includes terms which we had not agreed to with the landlord, however since the landlord...
Connie Trinc…, Agent, Melbourne, FL
Sun Apr 20, 2008
Hi Paul,

I would recommend that you contact an Accredited Buyers Representative that serves the area(s) that you're moving to/interested in. Realtors with the ABR designation are Realtors who are specially trained to provide those buying a home with a very high level of professionalism and service. You can find a current list of those Realtors at http://www.REBAC.net. Moreover, because you're active duty military, I would also recommend that you contact USAA. USAA maintains a list of USAA certified relocation specialists, most of whom are also Realtors. A Realtor who is specially trained to work with buyers and who can help you get the most out of USAA's relocation programs and services would be of great benefit.

As an Air Force brat who moved to Patrick AFB in 1987, I can tell you that many people stationed at Patrick live not in Cocoa Beach, but in Satellite Beach and Indian Harbour Beach. They're cities on the southern end of the base, rather than the northern end. They're more family-friendly towns that don't have all of the tourist and spring break traffic. Furthermore, because they're farther away from KSC and closer to many of the military contractor businesses in the Melbourne area, they should be impacted less by any changes in the shuttle program.

I am not certified as an ABR and do not have my USAA certification, but I would be glad to help you get in touch with a local Realtor that has both of these designations. I grew up in a military family, I understand the unique nature of a military move, and would like to help you out if I can. If you would like information about our area sent to you, please let me know. I hope your move to Brevard is a great one!

Andrew Barclay
Realtor, Broker-Associate
ERA Showcase Properties & Investments
eraandrew@gmail.com
321-576-9229
Web Reference:  http://www.321home.com
McCoy - Free…, Agent, Cocoa Beach, FL
Sun Apr 20, 2008
Hi Paul,
I do believe in keeping it safe but disagree the market with go down another 10/12 percent! Maybe in areas like Palm Bay and Viera etc... where new homes are a dime a dozen and anyone can clear an old cow pasture, dig a hole, call it waterfront and build the same type of house like the hundreds next door that are still sitting for sale.

If you want better value, look in the Cocoa Beach area. I have been selling about 4 beach properties each week for the last 6 weeks! Please visit my blog for updated market conditions here in Cocoa Beach.

http://whatshappeningnowincocoabeach.blogspot.com

As far as the Shuttle program, it is A LOT different from the Challenger disaster. I don't believe anyone planned for the Challenger to happen so it had a very bad affect on the local economy. Now there is a new rocket program in place and I believe they are planning test flights next year or so. Also Disney World is bringing in 2 MEGA cruise ships to the 2nd busiest port in the U.S. - Port Canaveral.

The local market IS at its lowest right now so in my professional opinion and the other 17 buyers I currently represent that have pending contracts on Cocoa Beach property believe now is the time to buy as well.

Hope this helps!
Bobby Freeman
McCoy-Freeman Group
RE/MAX ELITE
321-693-1694
info@BrevardRealtyConnection.com
http://www.BrevardRealtyConnection.com
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Sun Apr 20, 2008
Hey Paul.
Here's something to consider....the right house, in the right location, at the right price......regardless of market brings a higher level of security for your investment. Our advice is not to make a decision until you have considered the answers to these issues and become personally informed about the local market and its potential. Information is powerful!
The "Eckler Team"
Century 21 Almar and Associated
Venice, Fl 34285
ecklerteam@comcast.net
941-408-5363
M, , Florida
Sat Apr 19, 2008
Dear Paul,
How confident are you that the Space Shuttle program will shut down? I have to think that this national asset will always be active. They may slow it down, but research and testing will always continue. My husband retired from the military as a naval officer and he would enjoy talking to you about your move. We work with a few very good agents in the area and I am sure we can help you make the right decision.
terry@marianschaffer.com
The Schaffer Realty Group
877-886-8388
Mark Palace, Agent, Satellite Beach, FL
Mon Apr 28, 2008
We would be happy to work with you. Feel free to call and/or email us.

Mark Palace, CEO/Founder
Palace Properties International, Inc.
http://www.PalacePropertiesOnline.com
321.773.5611
321.704.9305

Company history