How much value does not having a garage take away from a home value in Dallas, TX 75234?

Asked by Georgia O, Dallas, TX Fri May 20, 2011

Answers

6
T.E. & Naima…, Agent, Dallas, TX
Fri May 20, 2011
The value of the garage itself is between $10k and $25k roughly, but it depends heavily on at least 2 factors: the price range of the house (neighborhood) and need for security.

A small house that has converted the garage to living space is not worth that much more than a smaller house with the garage intact, but it is slightly higher. If the neighborhood is safe and no one worries about cars parked out in the open, the space will be worth more.

In a high value neighborhood, not having a garage can cost dearly. A $300k house with no garage will likely sell over $30k below comparably sized houses nearby.

You would have to look at the particular circumstances to give a better answer.
Web Reference:  http://www.SumnerRealty.com
Kenneth "Ken…, Agent, Dallas, TX
Fri Aug 3, 2012
It depends on the location of the house. If the house is in North Dallas, Highland Park, Plano then it would be more important for it to have a garage. If it is in Garland and areas like that not so much, but it will be a factor, people expect a garage now. Most garages are attached to the primary home.

GOOD LUCK.

Kenny
Michael Brow…, Agent, Allen, TX
Tue Jul 31, 2012
Hello Georgia, I am wondering if the home you are referring to is similar to other in homes in the neighborhood, for instance, are garages without homes in the same area the norm or is the home you are referring to a custom built home.
EP Texas, Agent, Southlake, TX
Mon Jul 30, 2012
Generally Speaking 15-20% of the home value.

Nathan Beckey, Realtor
(m) 817.691.602 (e) nathan@exclusivepropertiestexas.com

http://www.exclusivepropertiestexas.com
More Options. More Results.
Michael Brow…, Agent, Allen, TX
Thu Jul 19, 2012
If you are considering converting a garage, I would recommed checking with your HOA, if there is one, and city to ensure converted garages are allowed. If you have a converted garage already, most people prefer a garage for the obvious. Best of luck with your garage situation.
walshwalsh@a…, Home Buyer, Eugene, OR
Sun Jul 15, 2012
To me, a house with the garage converted into living space looks strange. I've seen some really cute houses made just plain ugly by converting the garages. It totally ruins the architecture of a house. I'd rather settle for a much smaller house than one made larger by a garage conversion. I wouldn't even move into a neighborhood with converted garages. Converted garages look tacky. In my opinion, a conversion devalues the house and the neighborhood. But, if the neighborhood is already gone downhill, converting the garage won't make a difference, one way or the other and you'd be selling to like minded people in similiar financial circumstances.