How long does the average house stay on the market?

Asked by Jody, Oak Island, NC Sun Dec 6, 2009

Answers

5
Jenny A. Le, , California
Sun Dec 6, 2009
For Oak Island, NC, approx. 254 days: http://realestate.aol.com/Oak_Island-NC-real-estate?seo=true ... click on the "orange arrow" at top, on the right to find "Average Days on Market" then select it.

However, as recommended by prior answers below ... you should contact an experienced local agent in the area you want to sell to gain more accurate perspectives.
Tom Sommers, Agent, Lakeville, MN
Sun Dec 6, 2009
It all depends on the activity in your market; meaning city, area and neighborhood. The average days on market for the Minneapolis/St. Paul area is 129. There is 20.1% less homes on the markey a year ago. 43% of the homes sold in the last 30 days have had a price adjustment. Now for the big number for every home in my market that has sold 11 homes are still for sale. That is 1 buyer for every home. This is the type of information a good agent will give you to help you to determine the answer to your question.
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Sun Dec 6, 2009
It all depends--location, marketing, condition of the property, etc., and most of all price--are you priced on the money for current market conditions.
., , Columbus, OH
Sun Dec 6, 2009
That question is way too broad; there are entirely too many variables for anyone to give you a blanket area, such as:
-location and I mean EXACT location
-condition of the home
-market factors in the EXACT area of the home
-pricing; is the home priced consistent with the existing market and present buyer expectations
-time of year; historically some times are slower than others
You would best benefit from consulting with an experienced, knowledgeable real estate broker in your EXACT location. I know I sound like a broken record with the word 'exact', but it is critical; the same house the next block over may generate a major difference in value.
Stephen Saun…, Agent, Seattle, WA
Sun Dec 6, 2009
This will obviously depend on your location. Which market are you most interested in?