How is the resale value of town homes in Sunnyvale? I know that schools are not really good but heard they are improving.

Asked by Sri, Sunnyvale, CA Sat Dec 18, 2010

Answers

5
Grace Hanamo…, Agent, Cupertino, CA
Sun Dec 19, 2010
Hello Sri and thanks for your question.

You are very wise to recognize that school districts have a significant impact on housing prices and buyer desirability in the market. If the townhome in which you are interested in purchasing is located in portions of the Santa Clara School District, Cupertino School District or Cherry Chase/Cumberland School Districts, then the schools are very good and the resale value of the homes--whether townhome or single family detached home--are excellent. On the other hand, the areas of Sunnyvale where land is available and many new homes are being built (near 101) do not necessarily boast school districts with high API scores, and so home buyers here are often more attracted to buy based on a good commute and on the desirability of new housing with updated interiors and housing layout.

As to your question about resale, if the school district in some of the outlying sections of Sunnyvale does not significantly improve, it can have a negative effect on both the ROI of the home as well as the length of time to sell the property in the short term (5 year window). In the longer term, however, it's likely that even a poorer school district will afford the home seller profit if the home is purchased now while prices are at some of their lowest levels in years.

As for condos or attached homes in planned developments, I cannot completely agree that condos and planned developments are the first types of homes to lose value. In general, condos and attached product in planned developments--due to their lower price point--tend not to lose as much money in the beginning as do their more expensive single family detached counterparts at the start of a downturn in the economy. However, should the economic downturn deepen, as we've seen in the past few years, the cost of single family homes drops so low that many "would-be" condo buyers will switch over to purchasing single family homes and THIS causes condos to plummet in value. However, during economic recovery or times when the economy is booming, condos and attached planned developments are often the homes that see the MOST gain in value from a percentage basis, because the entry level home buyer can no longer afford the single family detached home.

I hope this helps. If you need any assistance in buying a new home, feel free to contact me. Remember, you will need to bring an agent with you to REGISTER at any new townhome comiplex prior to viewing the home in order for the developer to allow you to use an agent in your home purchase!

And, just a reminder, I'm as concerned about schools and school performance as you are, which is why I'm pledging to donate up to $100,000 to public schools from my commissions this year. If you'd like to help make a difference for schools in your area, call me!

Grace Morioka, SRES
Area Pro Realty
Tel 408-426-1616
Email: GraceAreaProREalty@att.net
John Souerbry, Agent, Fairfield, CA
Sun Dec 19, 2010
I agree with Louis, every neighborhood is different and values can vary greatly from street-to-street. Without an address it's hard to give you a reliable answer.
However, in general, condos and townhomes are usually the first type of property to lose value when the economy turns bad and the last type of property to regain value when the economy improves. You may find that the value of your property may not improve until everything else around it improves.
Louis Stone-…, , Santa Clara County, CA
Sat Dec 18, 2010
My dear friend,

To answer that question, we need to know where the property is in order to know the schools are performing.

Some parts of Sunnyvale are have Santa Clara Unified Schools, some have Cupertino Schools and some have Sunnyvale Schools.

It is nearly impossible to talk about Sunnyvale townhomes as a single market. There are three general Sunnyvale markets based on the associated school systems.

I would be happy to chat with you in more detail and share with you the information you need.

Feel free to ring me at your convenience so you can share your information requirements and have me get you the data you require.

Look very much forward to hearing from you.

Most kindly,

Louis Stone-Collonge
Realtor ®
Keller Williams Realty Silicon Valley
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
louis@stonecollonge.com
(408) 348-4026 phone
(408) 540-1829 fax

Web: http://www.stonecollonge.com
Blog: http://stonecollonge.typepad.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/stonecollonge
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/louisrealtor
Yahoo!: stonecollonge

DRE# 01799158
Phyllis McAr…, Agent, San mateo, CA
Fri Dec 20, 2013
Sunnyvale is fast becoming the "go to" community in silicon valley. I lived/rented in Sunnyvale over 20 years ago, when the owner offered the home for sale for 225,000 we declined, it's now worth 850,000 easily, even though it was just a 2/1, the location of the property is key to it's value, whether it's a town home or single family.
Robert Lei, Agent, Cupertino, CA
Fri Dec 20, 2013
Hi Sri,
Homes with addresses in the city of Sunnyvale may send students to Sunnyvale School District, Cupertino Union School District (CUSD), or Santa Clara Unified School District.

Which part of Sunnyvale is the townhouse you are interested in?

It's true that Sunnyvale School District has a wide range of quality of schools. The top 2 schools are very good. The bottom schools are far below. Sunnyvale is the most tricky school district because the TOP school attendance area is right next to the BOTTOM school attendance area.

This past school year many schools dropped in API scores. This might be due to teachers switching their focus to Common Core. In the Sunnyvale School District, the only two schools to NOT drop were Cumberland, which held steady at API=947, and Vargas, which surged 33pts higher to API=776.