How is the housing market in Austin? I am interested in buying an investment property.

Asked by Anita L, Pittsburgh, PA Mon Aug 25, 2014

Answers

7
Carlie Sky’s answer
Carlie Sky, Agent, Austin, TX
Tue Aug 26, 2014
Hello!

It is a seller's market right now in Austin. The city is growing rapidly with over 100 new people moving here every day, so the inventory is fairly low and thus, homes don't stay on the market long. Usually 2-3 days if you are in the low-medium price ranges.

As the city is growing and the RE continues to be strong, it is my opinion that investing here is a good idea, but you have to move fast and be ready to buy once you have decided that is what you want to do.

I have worked with many clients who are investing in properties here and would love to help you as well. If you'd like to contact me, I would be happy to answer more questions for you.

You can check out my profile here, which has my contact info as well.

Austin is a great place to invest!

Simple Reasons:
1) 5% Vacancy = High Demand for Rental Units. 95% of Austin's rental homes are occupied.
2) Texas has strong property owner rights. Easy to evict.
3) Strong economy: low unemployment, good wages.

I specialize in investors. Please let me know if you'd like me to email homes for sale with high rent to value ratios.

Carrie Hiner
Core Homes Austin
http://wwww.corehomesaustin.com
carrie@corehomesaustin.com
512-560-6563
Flag Fri Aug 29, 2014
Ginna Smith, Agent, Austin, TX
Tue Aug 26, 2014
Hello, in addition to Carlie's answer, I have been working with investors that have been concentrating on fast growing areas outside of Austin that have good school districts, such as Dripping Springs and Kyle. The houses typically are on the market a little longer, but with so many moving to this area, could catch up with Austin soon.
Ranee Bray, Agent, Austin, TX
Tue Sep 30, 2014
The Austin market is strong primarily due to job growth and affordability. The unique thing about Austin is that once people come they fall in love and stay! This is why I believe the Austin market is an excellent long term investment strategy.

I would love to run some financial analysis for you. Depending on your budget I could help you understand the initial investment and what the annual rent return, as well as long term equity, could look like.

Cheers,

B. Ranee Bray
TCP Realty
512-270-9750
Carlie Sky, Agent, Austin, TX
Wed Sep 10, 2014
It is a seller's market, but it is also a great location for an investment property as homes are in demand and if you are looking at buying and leasing, this is a great time to get in on this. The leasing market is hot and if you find the right property, it can be a great return for you.

Let me know if you'd like my help finding something for you!
Daphne Quay, Agent, Austin, TX
Tue Sep 9, 2014
As in prior comments, we are in a seller's market. However! -Two points;
1.are looking to buy or flip?
2. What areas are you looking in?- Different areas are good for different goals :)

I work with several investors who are looking to flip homes. There are a few pockets that are slowly turning and still relatively affordable with not toooo much competition.

Also if you are looking to lease out a home it would be a long term and depends what you plan your ROI to be. Austin is the most expensive place to lease a home in Texas; good for someone in your position.

Hope that helps some!
Susie Kay, Agent, Dallas, TX
Tue Sep 9, 2014
I'm a realtor and investor as well. Just like any other market Austin has it's good and bad time. Right now my investment in Austin is doing well.

I would suggest contacting a local realtor to help assist you.

Susie Kay
United Real Estate
469-371-2899
http://www.dfwdreamhomes.net
Chenlj, Home Buyer, Austin, TX
Sat Sep 6, 2014
I am worried that the austin is already over built. Charlie siad that " The city is growing rapidly with over 100 new people moving here every day" that's right, but the area builder delived over 19,000 multifamily units and 9000 single family units in the past 12 month. In the next 12 month, they are scheduled to deliver over 15000 multifamily and 9000 single family units. These add up to over 52,000 new units just in two years. The total net people inflow is about 36500/year and on average 3 people / units, that means Austin can absorb new unit at about 12,000 unit/per year. It will take a while for these units to be absorb by the market. Also, the developers and builder just can't stop. The momentun will keep running for a couple of years, until they realize it is already too late. Then they stop building.

In the past a couple of year during the recession, austin only added a few thousands of units per year, that why the house is on shortage. Now the developer and area builder just over build the house again as they did in 2000 and 2007. It is interest to see Austin real estate market is in a 7 year boom - down cycles. Now is 2014. Next peak will be in 2021.

If anyone think i am wrong, i am glad to hear why. I am not a real estate agent. I am just a small investor, people called a little fish.