Tom Mccloskey, Home Buyer in Brigantine, NJ

How can I protect myself from buying a storm damaged home in Brigantine.Whether its a condo or single family home.

Asked by Tom Mccloskey, Brigantine, NJ Sun Jan 20, 2013

Answers

3
Diane Glander, Agent, Spring Lake, NJ
Mon Jan 21, 2013
You can bring in a good remediation company to check for you. They go into crawl spaces, basements, attics, etc and know what to look for. They also bring in moisture reading tools that can tell right away if things are wet (even behind walls.)
Don't just count on a home inspector. Most are not trained to look thoroughly enough.
Also, ask for reports from the homesellers for any remediation work they had done. They will have to disclose that information to you. Not all remediation companies are doing the job correctly.
Web Reference:  http://www.dianeglander.com
Bob Sachs, Agent, Brigantine, NJ
Sun Jan 20, 2013
I have multiple suggestions. Do not take any ones word.
First, I would go to city hall and find out what area s the flood caused any damage.
Second, although I will tell you my Brigantine listings had no water damage in the area, you do not
know who I am if you had not dealt with me.
Third, if I am interested in a property, I would insist on a Sellers property condition report
Fourth, A home inspection by a reputable company will be able to tell from water lines left on
property and by doing a thorough inspection.
Fifth Always do your own due diligence work
Terry Farnsw…, Agent, Lisle, IL
Sun Jan 20, 2013
Hire an experienced home inspector to go over the property with a fine tooth comb. A good inspector will be able to find any signs of mold, water damage, etc. if the property has been compromised by it. You'll have an "inspection period" built into your contract to allow time to inspect the property, ask for repairs - and/or back out of the purchase if you find anything that makes you uncomfortable or that the seller won't remedy.

Hope that helps!