PB, Home Buyer in Marin County, CA

Hi..can anyone tell me the safe blocks within the French Quarter in LA or the safe boundaries at least? How?

Asked by PB, Marin County, CA Wed Jul 23, 2008

are the rental prospects and what's the demographic of renters - professionals, students, artists? What's the status of full recovery for the area - will it be a few more years until it's vital again? Thank you.

Answers

8
Hi Erin and Ian. Thank you for your thoughtful answers. I happened to stumble upon a link at the really wonderful Faubourg St. John Neighborhood Assn.'s website and found a link that might be helpful to anyone looking for crime stats in New Orleans.

http://cno-gisweb02.cityofno.com/crimemaps

If the link doesn't work from here, just Google City of New Orleans and you should be able to click on crime maps. It lets you search by address, street and boundaries and pinpoints where the incident (theft, auto theft, burglarly, assault and even worse) happened.

I could still use help with finding out how the rental market is in either the Quarter or Faubourg St. John? Are there enough renters out there or are houses sitting empty for long periods?

Thanks.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 24, 2008
Within the French Quarter, (as with many areas in New Orleans) life is alot safer than pre-Katrina. There are renters everywhere, with this demo varying from college students around the universities to the gumbo of mixed communities throughout.

New Orleans metropolitian area as a whole is doing pretty well,...with a Real estate market nothing like the national trends. What is interesting is there are incredible values where sellers were greedy and wanted a bazillion dollars for their homes a year ago...now the overall perspective trend shows pre-Katrina price levels right now.
Web Reference: http://iansellsnola.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 23, 2008
you need to talk to Mr.Ian Cockburn
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 23, 2008
I have lived here and in Detroit my entire life barring one stint in ultra-safe KC in the 90's. You MUST EXERCISE CAUTION to live anywhere in New Orleans, even the affluent burbs. My mom's best friends will not go anywhere in their Porsche if it will be out of their site at all. I know healthcare professionals that get dropped off at the hospital to work so as not to find missing cars at the end of long shifts. My hairdresser owned a home in the Quarter before the condo situation came in and they had people climb over their fences. We personally lived when we were very young in a grand high dollar apartment by the Mint (Decatur at Esplanade) "testing" the Quarter to see if we wanted to buy in there. It was too noisy for me and I am pretty lively, and the parking drama. That was long ago and things are worse now. If you are security conscious but want the same feel as New Orleans try the splendid town of Plaquemine in Iberville Parish, it feels like a French village with a gorgeous cathedral and French spoken everywhere and a beautiful waterfront on the river and Bayou Plaquemine. It was in the Dukes Of Hazzard movie recently and scenes from Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte were filmed downtown and it is home of the exquisite International Acadian Festival which brings visitors literally from all over the world every year and the Mardi Gras is very nice and authentic. It is safe and gorgeous along Bayou Road there and only one hour to NOLA Airport. The closest "safe" place we found with an authentic New Orleans look and feel to it but where you can leave a six hundred dollar bike in your front yard and the top down on your car all day long and still pick bananas and oranges in your own yard (you cannot any furthur north). Good luck!!
The Safest area in the French Quarter to live is within the boundries of the streets Dauphine, Ursaline, Charters, and Orleans. I lived in the Quarter from 1983 until Hurricane Katrina. I still visit my place at Royal and Dumain quite often. This part of the quarter is as safe as.., say Southern Hills in Shreveport.
Good to know...thanks, Ian!
The rental market in the quarter is very hot....and so are parts of Uptown. Most of the rental inventory are condos....not many houses in the Quarter, and those rent for substantial sums of money...always.
Web Reference: http://iansellsnola.com
Pardon me..I meant the rental market is in either the Quarter or Faubourg Marigny? Are there enough renters out there or are houses sitting empty for long periods?