Hello! I am a retired pre-school teacher in my middle/late 50's. I have not worked in a few years. I feel real estate would be a good fit for

Asked by Pierette, 22046 Wed Mar 2, 2011

me. Question-am I too old to enter this profession? I have been told it is just for younger people! How realistic is it to enter this field in this present housing market? Thanks!

Answers

7
Dan, Home Buyer, Alabama
Mon Aug 8, 2011
We need more realtors that know how to motivate bagholders err I mean sellers to sharply reduce the banc's home price.
Christopher…, Agent, Tarrytown, NY
Mon Aug 8, 2011
Hi, You are never too old to eneter the real estate field. Some one your age can work just as hard and efficiently as someone younger. It's about working smart; Tap into the people directly in your life, friends, family, neighbors, etc. Basically anyone you know that can give you a possible referral. Also find your niche, the type of clients you feel would most benfit from your services and market yourself as that expert. Figure out what your strengths are and market those. You mentioned being a teacher, that's a great way to start. Tap into all the people you have formed relationships with as a teacher and other teachers! There are usually special mortgage/finance programs available to teachers, learn about those and become the expert. Hope this helps.

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
GREEN Designated Agent
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
914.406.9023
Web Reference:  http://ravies.com/chrispagli
Agnes Tabor, Agent, Naples, FL
Mon Aug 8, 2011
As a pre-school teacher one of the things that you have, among others, are your communication skills. Each of us brings something different to the public and it is that uniqueness that sets us apart from the next person/agent.

Age is not a factor, you will definately be energized by this learning curve.

Go for it!!!!!!!!!!

Janis Talbott, Agent, Saraland, AL
Wed Mar 2, 2011
Teachers make some of the best agents. You will be explaining the complex paperwork regularly seems to me you just found a good part time job! Welcome.
Femi Bailey, , New York, NY
Wed Mar 2, 2011
In my opinion you would be a good fit at this time, as you have a teaching background and most sellers/buyers need to be educated on what is really going on in the market. All too often in this day and age, they are self-educating, which is not a bad thing, yet they do not know how to thoroughly analyze the market, because they do not have the resources we have at our disposal!
** Jeremy Gr…, , 07748
Wed Mar 2, 2011
Pierette,
Although being a full time agent is a demanding practice, many chose to practice on a part time basis. However fees are a big expense to both types of agents, which is why the less productive casual agent hurts when the economy is down.

The best option for you is hands down referral agency. For example, here at RealWorks Residential, weve created the RWR Network. Being an agent in referral means you dont pay the fees that regular agents do, instead its aprox. $100 dollars for the year. You would then be free to pursue customers, and if a friend of yours for example wanted to sell, you would call your network, process the lead, and then collect percentages of the commissions without doing any of the work and paying the fees.

I hope this was helpful.

Jeremy Gryvatz
Web Reference:  http://www.realworksres.com
Sergio Herna…, , Naples, FL
Wed Mar 2, 2011
It's never too late and some of the best Realtors were once educators.

Web Reference:  http://www.golftobeach.com