Joe Dl, Home Buyer in Fair Haven, NJ

Follow up - are we entering seasonally slow period for local sales? More likely to see capitulation and price drops into the winter?

Asked by Joe Dl, Fair Haven, NJ Mon Oct 3, 2011

Hi Joe,
NJ's seasonal market IS typically slower however, with interest rates being so low, we may see a busier than normal Winter sales season. As a home buyer, my strongest recommendation to you is to not necessarily focus on the season but instead each individual home's price & marketing history. Sellers are getting savvy and pricing their home properly from the start and going under-contract quickly! You have to have your finger on the pulse of the market to know if a home is priced right - not wait for the entire town to reduce statistically on paper. I view data such as days on market and the marketing history of the homes for my buyers and help them isolate the best possible home for the best possible price.
It can be fun and you can buy successfully in any market! Feel free to give me a call.
Linda Gillespie
Sales Associate, Gloria Nilson Realtors Real Living
(609)847-2443 cell
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 11, 2011

While the market is typicall on the downswing of the bell curve at thist time, I am finding that with the low, lower interest rates, I am receiving more offers on my listings and more buyers active in the market . . . especially since the "experts" say that those who do not buy now will cost them later with higher int rates, hence monthly payment. If you are even considering placing your house on the market, I'd do so based upon this activity.

Francesca Patrizio, Broker Sales Associate, EPRO, SRES
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 8, 2011
Our market is somewhat seasonal, in the winter the weather gets colder, and its dark by the time people get off work, so less people are out looking for real estate. When they do go looking they have to wait for the weekend in order to see the property during the day light hours. Also the holidays have everyones minds elsewhere and has them spending their money else where as well so yes I think we are in for a slow down from now until April again. I also published my 2012 Real Estate Outlook if your interested, you can view that here:…
Web Reference:

Sales patterns for the northeast will show that there is commonly a decrease in real estate activity during the holiday and winter months. Additionally, as motivated sellers come face-to-face paying for winter heat, taxes, electricity, etc. their selling position is often softened. This seasonal dilemma is one on which we can rely.

The economy and condition of the housing market are additional concerns that will enter the picture.

I belive that All-Bets-Are-Off;
Nothing is the same!
There is no consistancy.
Any Ecconomist who thinks he knows the answers, is a fool.

We are seeing far reaching changes, anomolies.
You can write your own rules.
I plan on being very busy the next six months.
The only thing that goes agains a huge drop is in most areas of the northeast the amount of listings is down substantially. Cash buyers are still buying at a tremendous rate. Houses that are clean and ready to move in as well as homes priced at or just below market rate are still selling, it is the over priced homes that are left.
Web Reference: