Considering getting licensed

Asked by Stephen Bygrave, Absecon, NJ Sun Nov 17, 2013

I'm 24 years old and have been considering getting my real estate license. I was just wondering if anyone on here could suggest to me a good company to start with after getting the license or if I even should for that matter. I can't get a good grasp on whether the market is doing well or not. I'm a hard working guy looking for a way to make a decent living, not a get rich quick kind of thing. I know there is a Century 21 hiring in Northfield but there are so many places to hang a license, just looking for some advice. Thanks to any who answer

Answers

2
Jim Olive, Agent, Key West, FL
Mon Nov 18, 2013
Stephen...
Laura is right on just about everything, but I disagree with her comment on market timing. The market is good right now and getting better nationwide. I believe that IS the time to get in if you're going to. Getting in now will afford you the opportunity to BECOME one of those "good agents with systems in place" to succeed when the market goes back down! But you'll need to be smart and enter with eyes wide open. 80 to 90% of new agents fail. Why? Because they don't enter with a "building a business" mentality. Building a business takes time and money. While the overhead required to get a real estate business off the ground may be less oppressive than that required to get a restaurant off the ground...you STILL have to enter the game with a plan for spending money up front and not recognizing much profit (if any) in the early years. And the majority of that investment (IMHO) will go to marketing and advertising. You can be the best Real Estate Agent in town, but it won't mean a thing if people don't know it....TELL THEM! Advertise. Get your name out there.
As for who to go with...remember....they are all in business and you represent the opportunity for more income to them...nothing more! Choose the one that will do the most to benefit you ... good training, good mentorship and a favorable commission split .Best of luck with your decision.
I appreciate your comment and perhaps I did not choose my words well. I just don't want to see people getting in now just because its good, I fear that as with many in the last upturn they won't get the systems in place to be able to succeed when the cycle changes.
Flag Mon Nov 18, 2013
Laura Gianno…, Agent, Manahawkin, NJ
Mon Nov 18, 2013
If you are thinking about getting licensed, congratulations! However, if you want to get into real estate because the market is good now, don't do it. Real estate sales is up then down and the cycle repeats, and good agents with systems in place can succeed in any market.

As for a company to work for, all real estate companies are always hiring. You'll work for yourself as a 1099 contract employee. You'll be paid on commission, and commission you make will be split with your broker. The amount of the split depends on the company.

I work for Keller Williams Realty in Northfield. We have more than 100 agents, excellent training and a large service area.

If you'd like to send me your contact information, I can have my Broker give you a call. No hard sell, just to answer the questions you might have.

Laura Giannotta
609-384-6121