Can a foreign person buy a single family building(apartment)?

Asked by cuichunrong60, Los Angeles, CA Fri Jun 8, 2012

Dear Sir, I am a Chinese student, studying in the University of Southern Califonia from June 2012-June 2013 with F1 visa. Can I buy a single family building or apartment in Los Angeles CA in above period? Can I get loan from local bank? If yes, how much percentage can I get it? Thank you!

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Lynn Le Glai…, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Fri Jun 8, 2012
Hello Cuichungongo60,
Yes, a foreign person can buy any property in the USA. If you call me diretly, I 'would love to talk to you about this. My phone number is 323-219-4480 and my email address is I speak English, Mandarin/Chinese, Spanish and Portuguese. I have represented many non-US citizens acquire properties in the US. I help them buy the property and have helped them beyond that.
I look forward to talking to you and assisting you.
Thank you,
1 vote
Brian Mitry, Agent, Sacramento, CA
Fri Jun 8, 2012
Yes, it is possible; however the lending guidelines are strict and require 50% down payment on most programs. There are other loan options with less down payment, too much to type best thing would be to call or email to discuss further in-depth.

I have a beautiful apt for sale close to UCLA for a great price if you would like to see it.


1 vote
Aaron Bellis…, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Fri Jun 8, 2012
Yes there are ways in which you can make the purchase. There are also lender that will finance foreign buyers, though the loan to value ratios will be lower than usual, expect to put down 35-40% plus closing costs.

If this is something you'd like to explore further, connect with me.

Aaron Belliston
1 vote
Yeprem P. Da…, , Encino, TX
Mon Oct 29, 2012
Yes, a non-resident can purchase property in the United States. There are many options and some of my colleagues in the industry have below have provided you some great information. I've advised F1 and J1 students from SMC, CSUN, USC, and Pepperdine in regards to this matter. Feel free to contact me.


Yeprem P. Davoodian, M.A.
0 votes
Douglas Perez, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Fri Jun 8, 2012

Did you get an agent already to help out? If not, contact me. I know exactly the surrounding of USC.


Douglas Perez
(213) 375-8741
0 votes
Heather Paul, Agent, Santa Monica, CA
Fri Jun 8, 2012
Yes you can! You will need approximately 50% to put down on the purchase.

Have a great day,
Heather Paul, Realtor
Coldwell Banker
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more