Are property taxes higher compared to nearby areas?

Asked by Sanja, Boston, MA Wed Aug 1, 2007

Answers

4
Anthony Fireman’s answer
Anthony Fire…, , Boston, MA
Mon Feb 23, 2009
Hi Sanja,

Great observation!

Yes, they are a bit on the higher side. You should definitely consider the amount of commercial businesses in a community as this will help your overall tax burden. Both commercial businesses and residents contribute to a towns revenues levied by property taxes. When one is lacking, the other must make up the difference. For example, the taxes in Natick are substantially lower relative to Sherborn (just south of Natick), because Sherborn has very little in terms of retail/office space. Residential property owners in Sherborn must carry to burden in property taxes in this situation.

Hope this information helps.

Anthony C. Fireman
REALTOR
anthony.c.fireman@gmail.com
Brian Rugg, Agent, Georgetown, TX
Tue Feb 17, 2009
Hello Sanja:

Taxes are levied by all communities by multiplying two variables. First is the assessed value of the property and the second in the “millage rate” which is nothing more than a rate per thousand of assessed value. In the City of Boston the 2009 residential tax rate is $10.63 per thousand. If you were looking at a property that had an assessed value of $300,000 you simply multiply 300 by $10.63 and find the taxes on that particular property equals $3189.00. The reason different neighborhoods in Boston have different taxes is due to the difference in assessed values, the millage rate stays the same.

Another poster did mention the home owner’s exemption which is actually a $1375.36 reduction if you live in the property. Based on the example above, the taxes would be reduced from $3189.00 to $1813.64.

I hope this helps. As always, if you have additional questions fell free to contact me at Brian@TeamRugg.com .
David Laven, Agent, Boston, MA
Thu Jan 29, 2009
Hey Sanja, the property taxes in Boston are slightly on the high side compared to near by areas. That said there is a tax credit around $1400 if the unit is your primary home. To get a better idea I would suggest looking at my web reference to see all of the listings for sale in The Back Bay including the tax info or call me on my cell @ 617-259-0235 and I will help answer any questions you have about specific listings. Hope this info helps:)

David Laven
Boston RE Expert
617-259-0235
"please use this web reference to view 200+ Back Bay listings!"
Ivana Foley, , Boston, MA
Wed Aug 1, 2007
No property taxes in Roxbury are actually lower then surrounding areas.The properties are asseses much higher in Back bay, Dowtown Boston and other more upscale areas.