Any estimates for cost per square foot for additions in the midpeninsula area?

Asked by Bach, San Mateo, CA Sun Feb 24, 2008

Answers

5
Shelley Linde, Agent, Rancho Santa Fe, CA
Sat Jun 25, 2011
OOPS, I realize what your asking. Additions are just up my alley. My last two large project
were very expensive because of the materials I used. A bit of advice. Don't overbuild. Get referrals
of course.

Most of all remember a good contractor is WORTH the price. Remodeling can be an expensive nightmare to correct and go try and collect. It is also very disruptive to say the least. Do your homework and set parameters, such as payments, time frame, and the size of the crew that will be working and how often.
Don't allow them to jump from job to job. Have ALL your supplies ordered and stored in your garage ahead of time........now you can enjoy the process.
Sat Jun 25, 2011
Hi Bach:

The square footage cost is not the answer. That price confuses people, even agents. If you research yourself you will see that price per sq. foot is all over the map in any area. What the price gives you is the quality of the materials used not what the home is actually worth, but that is only if your comparing properties in a the same zip code. Land values are more important on the Peninsula. Location is the key to land value and a usable lot.
Nick Giobres, , 94070
Mon Nov 2, 2009
Keep Change Orders in check, have a plan and stick to it. Change orders will cause delays and increase costs through the roof.

Also dont just get three bids, make sure they are Licensed check with the CSLB and insured, both general liability and workers comp.

I would also like to add that with todays market you should be able to really haggle with real estate agents since the market is down so much, heck you could probably get 'em down to 1.5 percent and 1 in 10 Californians has a real estate license ( Yes this is directed at you Michael Tessaro, thanks for devaluing our work, when almost all agents were responsible for the mess we are all in)

Your Local Contractor
Lenore and A…, Agent, Vista, CA
Mon Mar 10, 2008
Construction costs are high on the Peninsula. Depending on what it is you are adding, costs could be as high as the sky. Since the average cost per square foot of a house today is in the $600-$800's or more, so if you figure an addition at $300 per square foot, you're likely to be high but fine.
Michael Tess…, Agent, Fremont, CA
Sun Feb 24, 2008
From my experience your area is one of the most expensive so it would depend on the neighborhood and the quality of construction and finishes you choose however with many contractors not have the amount of work they use to have you should be able to negotiate a reasonable bid for your project. Please get at least 3 written bids and check them out in detail and go visit their references. The cost should be on the low side $200 per sq.ft. to $600 per sq.ft. it depends on the finsh work. Good Luck