Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Remodel & Renovate in Marion County : Real Estate Advice

  • All2
  • Local Info2
  • Home Buying0
  • Home Selling0
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 15
Fri Jan 15, 2016
Bgrizmo asked:
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Tue Sep 23, 2014
louden85 answered:
had 2 sheds build first part of the year now i found i should have gotten a building permit - 12X16 in back yard
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Thu Jan 10, 2013
Your Solar Realtor answered:
it really depends on what your short or long terms goals are. If you're looking for a higher ROI it might be a good idea to convert. I would also check with an appraiser to confirm your findings from agents. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Fri Jan 4, 2013
Julie Barnett answered:
Well, you asked this months ago, but it should stay with the property if it is something is affixed. If not affixed to the property, then you could remove it. Some people will tear up their home when they are losing it, but the ways the tax laws work now, if you tear up the home the bank will get less money for it and you will have to pay taxes on the difference between what the bank gets and what they gave you originally for the loan, so to vandalize your home when you lose it to foreclosure is only like shooting off your own foot, so to speak. ... more
1 vote 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Jun 26, 2012
Justin Biehl answered:

In my opinion the additional finished space is not going to greatly increase the appraised value of the home, however when it comes time to selling your home, it will make the home more marketable and might increase the market value or listing price.

Here are a few factors when considering the value:

1. Is the basement space considered livable space? Are there fire egress windows?
2. Was the work done by a licensed contractor and were permits filed?

If you would like a more specific value to the home, please contact me for a free market analysis where I can compare your home with what has sold on the market over recent months.

Good Luck,
Justin Biehl
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sun Jun 17, 2012
Fran Lazerov answered:
Before you make any decision to add on, have a realtor pull comparables for you. If the neighborhood comparables will justify the money it will take to add on, then contact at least two contractors and get bids for the improvements you want to make. Be sure to use the same plans and specifications when you are comparing prices and construction quality. It wouldn't hurt to look at homes that already have the features you want. You might find something you really like and can afford that is existing now. Just a suggestion. Best wishes to you in your search. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Tue Apr 24, 2012
Michael Emery answered:
A lot would depend on how easy it was to re plumb the house. If it's a single story house with exposed basement or crawlspace, it's a lot easier to re plumb than it would a multi story home or a home where the basement ceiling isn't exposed.

One way to save money would be to switch to pex plumbing (assuming your local building code allows it). The cost of copper has gone way up, plus pex is easier to install than copper as it doesn't require solder joints.
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Feb 15, 2012
Mike Franz answered:
This would depend on several factors, type, size and condition of the pool and concrete surroundings. A qualified contractor is a must!! You don't want to end up with a swamp where the pool resided. Remember the pool held water. Access to the area is also a concern. In general most fill dirt and top soil is sold by the cubic yard (L x W x H / 27) You can get a rough estimate on material by calculating total volume (area needed to be filled) and checking for fill and top soil prices. The labor portion is the variable and depending on the contractor the price differences can be wide. USE A QUALIFIED CONTRACTOR check references, previous jobs performed. ... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Wed Feb 8, 2012
Claire-Anne Aikman answered:
If you are looking at this as an investment opportunity so you can ultimately flip the home, connect yourself with a good Realtor after you have gone to the bank to see what kind of money would be available to you.
Once you know what you have to work with START SMALL. Find the agent that is willing to show you homes that you have a good chance of turning over, not just homes that are vacant. There are fabulous deals on bank owned and HUDs, you have to be patient to find them and act quickly when you do (otherwise you will lose out to other bidders/investors).
Once your get your property I cannot stress enough the need to keep it small and stay focused. I have run into many an investor that got carried away with upgrades to the point where they need to recoup so much money the home ends up priced way above a sellable range.
Hope that helps.
Good luck!
Claire-Anne Aikman
Carpenter Realtors
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Feb 8, 2012
Jillian Lopez answered:
You want to sign up with asset management companies. check out and you will see that have a vendor registration just for this sort of thing.
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Wed Feb 8, 2012
Claire-Anne Aikman answered:
I like - put in your needs and let them come to you. They contact you via email, you answer back with your needs and call if they seem to be a match for your needs. I like to google them and check with the BBB (I'm thorough like that) before I call them. Any good contractor will want to come out and look at the project, and getting an estimate shouold not cost you anything, afterall, they are in a sense bidding on the work to be done.

Good luck!

... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sat Dec 17, 2011
Alan May answered:
Yeah... I wouldn't listen to anyone from any state other than Indiana.

After all, what would an agent who works in the greater Chicagoland area know about kickbacks, and bribery for city inspectors?

... more
3 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Wed Sep 9, 2009
Voices Member answered:

Perhaps you are looking for this type of info....……

For browsing actual foreclosures listed for sale ect.. you may find these helpful...

The Banks and the Gov. have created sites to provide the public with access to their properties for sale listings..(REO/Foreclosures) and information on the Bid/Purchase process.

Sites like.... .... ...

The links to these Bank and Gov. sites can be found here....

Good hunting, Dunes
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Fri Oct 3, 2008
Carmen Clayborn answered:
Hello David,

Depending on what you are seeking I have two different answers for you.

First Answer
If you are simply after the area of concrete pad that exists along the ground measure length in nearest whole inches and then at 90 Degrees to the first measurement or perpendicular measure the width in nearest whole inches. Multiply each of these numbers and then divide the result by 144 (Because you used inches in the beginning you need to divide each measurement by 12 to convert back to feet, and because you had 2 measurements you do this twice resulting in 12x12 or 144) . This will give you an answer in units of feet squared or SQ FT. This method avoids problems with fractional feet and inches and the needed extra conversion steps.

This answer would be good enough for a property description of say a patio's square feet.

Second More Complex Answer
If for some reason you wanted to find smaller the concrete pad area as seen from above and knew the dimensions sloped along the ground you will have to use a little trigonometry. The explanation is lengthy for here but a good method to use would be the "pothagarean theorem" Imagine looking at the patio from the side elevation, slicing a typical section of the pad as it lays on the ground. This sloped piece of concrete will be the longest side of the right triangle. For the total amount of fall (you said 6 inches per foot, so multiply 6 inches or 0.5 if using feet by the total length to get the total fall). Convert to feet of fall if you have not already and this number will be the smallest side or end of the triangle using the pothagarean method. With 2 known sides (longest and shortest sides) of the right triangle you can solve for the shorter imaginary horizontal 0 degree sloped side. When you have this imaginary length multiply it by the width of the actual patio and you will now have the imaginary horizontal area.

Email me if you need more help.

My name is Richard W. Clayborn, P.E. I co-own Clayborn Real Property Consultants Inc.

Founded in 2007, Clayborn Real Property is a local independent licensed real estate brokerage. We are also a REALTOR member with adherence to a strict code of ethics. Each client is very important to us as we grow our market share in Indianapolis. Our staff is both professional and knowledgeable. Check us out online and give us a chance when you are ready to experience, "The New way to Buy or Sell Real Estate in Central Indiana".....Clayborn Real Property .

You can email us at
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Search Advice
Remodel & Renovate in Popular Cities in Marion County