Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Rental Basics in Long Beach : Real Estate Advice

  • All698
  • Local Info83
  • Home Buying253
  • Home Selling24
  • Market Conditions19

Activity 13
Mon Nov 6, 2017
Donadoluisa asked:
I recieved an email from a place that was for rent and they say they live out of state and want to do the wntire transaction through airbnb how safe does that sound?
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Thu Sep 28, 2017
Pumkin54 asked:
My landlord says Nov 30. I say the day after Nov 30, or else the lease should have said Nov 30.
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Tue Apr 28, 2015
I do it all the time. give me a call, I will send you out a free list and see if we have anything you like,
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Thu Oct 16, 2014
mesutter answered:
Be aware that many of the amenities the landlord is to legally required to provide and maintain at his/ her expense on a residential rental are not required on commercial leases, such as "office space". Residential tenants have a number of rights that nothing in the lease can take away, such as the right to an apartment that's "habitable" and fit to live in. As a commercial tenant, you have no such rights, and the courts will consider you a commercial tenant.

Once you've signed the lease, the law doesn't require the landlord to repair roof leaks, plumbing or heating issues, or vermin infestations even if they make the premises unusable. And where the law restricts landlords' ability to enter residential property, their s no such right for commercial property. In other words, if you sign the lease, and the range breaks down, the drains back up, or many of the other maintenance that is normally landlord responsibility is required, you may be out of luck. You also will not have the tenant's rights associated with residential leases. However, you will be stuck with the lease and required to pay your rent even if the unit becomes uninhabitable as a residence.

Run, don't walk, away from this one.
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sat Oct 19, 2013
Alex Montelongo Real Estate Group answered:
Evict her. Start the process. If you are not familiar with the eviction process, hire an attorney. The eviction is not immediate so start now. With any luck she may just leave once she knows the unlawful detainer has been filed. Best of luck. ... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Wed Jul 10, 2013
Kawain Payne answered:
Hello Derek,

Even though the renter is on section * the landlord/management company will still need to know they are renting to someone with a decent credit history. You section 8 does not pay 100% of the rent. So they will need to see evidence that you will pay your share.

Credit checks are not free. The $25 is not a profit for the owner /management company> The fee goes to the agency running the report. some reports also check criminal backgrounds. If the owner does this it also shows they care about the property, and you will not get stuck with a landlord who does not maintain the property well.

Think of it this way: if you owned a high end car, would you let someone rent it from you without making sure they had a valid driver's lic? You may even want to know if they have car insurance, or at least check with your insurance to make sure they will cover the person you are allowing to rent your car in the event of an accident

Anytime someone allows someone they do not know personally use or reside in their property, they should want to get some info on that person.

Best of luck to you!

Kawain Payne, Realtor
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sun Jun 2, 2013
Michael Magaw answered:
Take the advice given. Use an eviction service and /or an attorney. If you handle this wrong, you could have new problems you were not even considering. Some "tenants from hell" know how to work the system. They know what their rights are. They know if having children or people with handicapped status give them special protections. They how how to delay eviction by making accusations against their slum-lord.
I am not saying that is what you are facing, but the fact they allowed unknown people to move in should be a red flag. Use a professional service.
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Fri Apr 12, 2013
Kawain Payne answered:

Check with the CA department of consumer affairs regarding the law.

California laws change often, so go to the source for info on current laws.

If landlord will not do the pre move out inspection, and you want to ensure you get your max deposit back you should:

1.Make sure and have the place cleaned top to bottom before you return your keys.
2. Take photos or better yet take cell phone video of every room in the house.
3. Take photos under the sinks
4. Make sure a paint any walls back their original color if you have changed the colors during your tenancy
5. Have the carpet cleaned, and keep your receipts.
6. Clean the range
&. Make sure and leave no debris or personal items in the garage or in the back yard

Best of Luck to You!
Kawain Payne, Realtor
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Thu May 31, 2012
Samantha Baksic answered:
Hello again,

I have one other resource to add:

Zillow has an estimated rent range for every property. If you take the info provided by all of these resources into account, it will help you find the market value for your area.

Best of luck!
Samantha Baksic
Precision Realty
714.330.2021 (cell)
800.817.7542 (fax)

CA DRE License #: 01904666
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Wed Mar 7, 2012
Jessica Acker answered:
I think all the other answers on here are great. One of the things that my tenants find very important is the "lease- breaking clause". Unfortunately, there are circumstances where a lease must be broken due to a new job opportunity, loss of a job, family circumstance, or any other reason. You want to make sure you understand what your financial loss will be and how you can mitigate the loss by actively participating in the leasing process. Sometimes you can help out by listing the unit and showing it to perspective renters. The less time between tenants the better for the lease breaker.

Also, just because it says something on the lease, it does not mean it is necessarily legal or enforceable. For example, a generic lease may say something that is not enforceable in a rent controlled city like Santa Monica.
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Thu Nov 17, 2011
About 24 years ago I tried to process my own eviction, save the $500 right. No, find someone who knows how to do that and pay them to do the eviction. Do not cut out any services, lock any doors etc. without court approval. You may be the one who gets sued. ... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Thu Apr 30, 2009
Barbara Robbins-Olexa answered:
Hi! I have helped my clients rent their properties. I always suggest getting tenant liability coverage over and above the fire insurance you already have through your HOA. It's called Rental Condominium Unitowners Policy and I get it through State Farm. It costs me $175/a year. It even covers loss of rents, damage to the property and liability and medical payments.

If you want to be able to move back, you would need a month to month rental agreement which is what I use for most of my rentals anyway. That way if they are not happy they can leave with 30 day notice and if I am not happy I can give them a 30 day notice.

If I can answer any other questions, feel free to call me at 714-296-7270 or email me at

Barbara Robbins-Olexa
Broker, e-Pro Internet Certified, SRES(R)
L B Brokerage
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Search Advice