Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Laguna Niguel : Real Estate Advice

  • All106
  • Local Info10
  • Home Buying26
  • Home Selling7
  • Market Conditions8

Activity 66
Fri Dec 14, 2012
On a lender note:

A PUD does not need to be approved by FHA in order for FHA financing to placed.

A Condominimum does required FHA approval.

FHA approvals may be withdrawn at any time and do expire.

The PUD is not subject to this additional level of beauracracy.
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Sun Aug 26, 2012
Odile Romans answered:
There are owners who would consider seller financing.
With your sizable down payment that would be a win win option for you and the
seller looking for cash flow. Also it would give you added options with price rasnge and
ywe would be working with properties not listed on the market.
This is a great time to buy you just have to find the opportunity niche that
works best for you. Would love to help you.
... more
0 votes 12 answers Share Flag
Fri Mar 30, 2012
Toni Gamboa answered:
Hi Amh!! Oh my goodness. Wow!! That is not good. It happens. Once they foreclose the property is gone. I'm sorry this happened to you. Seems like whoever you had working on it did'nt communicate properly with the bank. Maybe, obtain a lawyer. But i'm almost positive nothing could be done. Im sorry. ... more
0 votes 17 answers Share Flag
Mon Mar 26, 2012
Loretta Pierce answered:
I suggest using a real estate company. Agents help people list and find condos for lease all the time. It's a safer way because professionals will be showing your property and creating binding contracts between you and your tenant. Please contact me if you need assistance. I would be happy to help you. (949) 689-6464; Loretta Pierce/ First Team Real Estate ... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Wed Mar 21, 2012
Ingrid Ski Realtor answered:
HI Grace,

I know we talked about this and I am sure you already called the fair housing council for advise. You may want to contact an attorney for any other options. they maybe able to get you out of the lease. You may want to check this out - if the landlord is taking rent monies and he has not paying his mortgage the rent monies are supposed to go to the lender. Providing the lender knows he is renting the place out? You should get some legal advice for your situation from an attorney.
Talk to you soon

Ingrid Ski Realtor
... more
0 votes 13 answers Share Flag
Wed Mar 21, 2012
Michael Benninger answered:
I am a retired Marine that works with many veterans and knowing the VA benefits is what we do.
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue Dec 13, 2011
Rafael Porter answered:

I'm afraid everyone has to pay taxes in the US. If you're interested in purchasing a property in Orange County feel free to give me a call. Visit my profile for contact info.


Rafael Porter
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sat Jul 23, 2011
Dallas Texas answered:
Short sale requires lender approval it can take approx. 60 days have any response back from the lender same as a foreclosure.

If you have time to wait submit numerous offers then you MIGHT be able to snag a deal

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Mon Mar 21, 2011
John Arendsen answered:
You bet your sweet Bippy! Bet you can't guess where that came from?
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Mon Oct 4, 2010
Steven Abraham First Team answered:
Before I get started, I am not an attorney and this information is strictly an opinion!
That being said, if you were to speak to a group of real estate attorneys, brokers and agents, you will receive conflicting and confusing information.
Here is the problem with SB800 and your particular circumstance:
Although SB800 was intended for builders in the trade of building homes to sell (c.c. 911), you are liable because of the building standards required in this bill (c.c. 869).
This bill was written to protect the consumer and to limit the liability of the builder.
If problems occur with the construction or something as small as cabinet doors, the buyer can claim you are liable and the decision could be up to a judge to determine the outcome.
Keep in mind, with the New Construction Addendum buyers and sellers have a choice of Adversarial or Non-Adversarial.
Well, kind-of-sort-of, but we will save that for a later discussion.
With this Bill in place and your situation, you have a few choices to make-
The buyer may use the standard Residential Purchase Agreement Contract (CAR form) and add the New Construction Addendum (CAR form).
If you accept their agreement, you are acknowledging you are in agreement to abide by SB800.
If the buyer simply uses the Res. Purchase Agreement without the New Construction Addendum and a problem occurs later, you could argue that your intent was to live in the home, decided to sell it simply as a homeowner and that SB800 did not apply to you.
Either way, You are in a defensive position because of SB800.
Bottom line- The law is the law! You can express your intent, but you are liable because of SB800.
What I Would do-
Provide the buyer with a Builder's Warranty. There are a few good companies out there. This is not a Home Warranty.
If you are insolvent, you will need to provide a Surety Bond as well.
SB800 is complicated.
You definitely want a Realtor who is experienced in New Construction representing you.
Because you are a subcontractor or contractor of the home, you will be liable for issues that arise with the home.
The Builder's Warranty and, if necessary, the surety bond will help!
Real Estate Brokers and Agents are not allowed to give legal advice and if you have legal questions, you should consult an experienced real estate attorney in your area!
Call me and I can go into greater detail from a real estate broker’s perspective!
My direct number is 949.378.4005.
Steven Abraham
Licensed Real Estate Broker
License # 01246369
“25 Years of Professional Real Estate Experience”
Prudential CA Realty
Prudential Commercial Investment Division
“A Berkshire Hathaway Affiliate”
CEO-Laguna Castles, Inc.
949.378.4005 Direct
... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Tue Sep 14, 2010
Janet DePerry answered:
Hi Yasmin,
Well I owned a home in Rolling Hills and raised my 2 children there, loved it, great location... However buyer beware!!! There are parts of Rolling Hills that have soil movement. My home had issues and our pool sfited twice. HOA is difficult sometimes. Aliso is also great, however you have Mello Roo's..

Any other questions fell free contacting me. Best regards,
... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Sat Aug 21, 2010
Michael Benninger answered:
Wed Jul 14, 2010
Karen Parsons Fiddler answered:
Hi Donald,

I hate to see you leave our beautiful Lake Arrowhead!!! I have a home up there too....and couldn't bear to part with it. Are you moving down here? Or is this a vacation home?

... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Jul 7, 2010
Michael Benninger answered:
I would recommend google your address you are looking for. There will be unknowns which you can not see without seeing the property. Look and see if it comes up under If it comes up you will find comparables look and see other properties for sale.
If you have any questions feel free to ask.


... more
0 votes 13 answers Share Flag
Thu Jun 3, 2010
Mark Gundlach - The Gundlach Group answered:
The challenge is always to find those that are like-minded enough to fit in with your plan, and different enough to complement you and the rest of the team.
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Fri Apr 30, 2010
Emily Knell answered:
I think it's still considered a purchase money loan, because even though you're probably on title because of the AITD contract, you were never the primary borrower.

The big question is, where is the home value now in relation to what is owed by the primary borrower / 'previous owner'. If the current loan amount is less than what you can get it appraised for, a short sale would be the only way you could get the loan in your name.

Let me know if you have any questions. I won't respond to this thread so email me directly. Alternatively you could call my lender if you'd like to talk to her about putting the loan in your name. She works weekends: 562-552-1191 or
562-430-3053 cell
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sun Mar 14, 2010
Mack McCoy answered:
If yours does, then, yes, it can.

If yours doesn't, then, well, maybe.

I've never heard of such a thing, specifically. Generally, sure - no structural remodels without Board Approval, which shall not be unreasonably withheld.

But, The Load-Bearing Wall (fig 384) in Unit 22B4 Shall Not Be Opened, nah.
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sun Feb 7, 2010
Bob Phillips answered:
Here are a couple of additional things to look out for, Liz.

First, a potential seller who wants a higher than market rent, telling you they will apply the additional amount toward your eventual down payment. Prices for properties like you described are probably a minimum of $500k, unless it's a condo. Even a 3.5% down FHA loan will require a down payment of $17,500., which at $500./month will take 3 years to accumulate.

That's assuming that prices don't change between now and 2 or 3 years from now. In this price range they have gone up over the past 12 months, which is likely to continue. And don't forget closing costs, which can be ANOTHER 3.5%.

One bad thing about most lease options? Either the option deposit, or additional rents tie you to that specific property. If - 6 months or a year later - you decide you don't really like this property, you're in jeopardy of losing both an option deposit, and any increases in the rents.

In a market like we're in, it seems like just renting is a better idea - until you find a house you really like - instead of terms that you like.

Another ploy out there right now is companies offering to co-sign with you, to get you into the property. Their fees are typically extraordinarily high - kind of like the offers one gets from credit card companies when their credit has taken a fall.

Like I said before - be very careful out there.
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Mon Sep 14, 2009
Emily Erekuff answered:
Hi Michael,

It's great to hear that you are enjoying your Trulia Pro subscription.

Since you are a Trulia Pro subscriber, you can select which site your listings point to. You can do this within the My Listings section of your account which you can access via the link below. Once you're there select the option to 'Edit listing details' and then the option to 'Edit listing source'.

If you don't see the source that you'd like to select for a listing, you'll need to add that source to our site manually via Use the method on the left to submit your listings now and you'll be able to manually provide us with the listing information, including the website, that you'd like us to use for the listing in question. And once this information is available in our system, 24 to 36 hours later, you should find that source available on your My Listings page when you attempt to edit the listing.

I hope that's not too confusing. If you have any further questions, please let us know.

Best Wishes,

Emily Gibson
Community Moderator
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sat Aug 22, 2009
Michael Benninger answered:
Aliso Viejo is newer then Laguna Niguel with all school being local to the home you are talking about.
I have lived in Laguna Niguel since 1982 and I love it close to everything.
Both are great areas to live in with the temp in either about 15 degrees cooler then the other side of the fwy.
Costco has location in both.

Access to going to work for you is about 5 min difference. Good luck.

Michael D Benninger
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
1 2 3 4
Search Advice
Laguna Niguel Zip Codes