Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

La Center : Real Estate Advice

  • All1
  • Local Info0
  • Home Buying1
  • Home Selling0
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 1
Mon Oct 22, 2012
Sally Grenier answered:
Why are you asking? Are you referring to a property listed for sale? Does this incorrect info have an impact on the home's value, or are you just being knit picky?

If it's a matter of value (i.e. inaccurate SF, # of BR/BA, etc.) and the home is listed for sale, then that's ultimately up to the listing agent to post accurate info. But sometimes the agent has limited information to work with, and often relies on public records, seller's info, or an old appraisal, which aren't always accurate. The seller likely has to sign a square footage disclosure and a sellers property disclosure so that buyers are aware of any issues. It also says that if buyers are concerned about SF they can have the house measured themselves.

If it's an issue with public records, then the seller can call the county assessors office and get the information updated. BUT...sometimes people don't want to do that, because it will result in higher taxes for them! (i.e. if there's actually more SF than what's listed in the county records, or had larger lot, more BR/BA, etc.)

But if you're asking about a listing agent misrepresenting the facts, you can certainly file a complaint with your state real estate commission.
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Search Advice
La Center Zip Codes