Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Rental Basics in Kew Garden Hills : Real Estate Advice

  • All51
  • Local Info4
  • Home Buying16
  • Home Selling2
  • Market Conditions2

Activity 10
Fri Apr 7, 2017
Kenny Ortiz answered:
I have a question, when I moved in to my 2 bedroom it was me my girlfriend and my daughter 2 years later my girlfriend gave birth to my son and 21/2 years later she gave birth to me daughter, so now its me, my girlfriend, my 6 year old daughter, my 3 year old son and my 1 month old daughter. Can my landlord evict me cause its 5 of us now? ... more
0 votes 23 answers Share Flag
Fri Oct 2, 2015
Victory Property Management answered:
As long as the zoning laws allow it, legally it shouldn't be a problem. The question is can the unit take the additional wear and tear? Will it affect any of your existing tenants? Are they able to make the rent payments? Do they have a good rental history? ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sat Aug 15, 2015
Ddbinvestorsllc answered:
No, your lease is a binding contract. If you want to bring an additional person into the unit you need to go back to your landlord and ask him if he would allow it and add that person to the lease. Otherwise you would be in breach and your landlord would have the right to evict you if he so choose. ... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sat Aug 15, 2015
Ddbinvestorsllc answered:
You would have to check with your local code enforcement organization. Generally there are square footage requirements for the number of people and then there are usually requirements related to sex of the occupants. for example, in most cases children of the opposite sex are not allowed to share the same bedroom. I do not know California law but you should be able to call your local housing authority and they should be able to tell you. I know in NJ there was a single father with a daughter and he had to have a two bedroom unit because according to NJ rules he was not permitted to share a bedroom with his daughter, she was a toddler. I would think if this applied to the father then a mother with a son would be handled the same way. Again you have to check your local regulations. Call your county housing authority ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sat Aug 15, 2015
Ddbinvestorsllc answered:
No I don't think he is right. I am a landlord in NJ. My understanding of the definition of a boarding house in NJ is that is has to have multiple units intended for short term single occupancy. My understanding of this is it has to be more like a hotel or a bed and breakfast type deal where you have multiple units where people are occupying these units for a short period of time. This is not the same as having a house with multiple bedrooms and renting that house a set group of people for 6 months or a year. Now if you have multiple and different people who are coming and going and it's not the same group of people,, (for example if this is college fraternity or sorority, then I could see the possibility of this getting into that gray area. If not, then I think he is making a mistake. My standard for renting has always been that anyone living in one of my units that is over the age of 18 must be listed on the lease and must provide all the appropriate documentation as anyone else living in the unit. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue May 6, 2014
Christopher Pagli answered:
Do you mean the lease? You can limit the amount of occupants as there ar slaws in place for overcrowding.

0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sat May 3, 2014
Annette Lawrence answered:
Craigs list.
notes on public bulletin boards.

However, DO NOT send money to anyone to whom you can not lead the police to their door.
You will quickly understand what I'm talking about.

Manwhile you should be writing down the telephone number of the Queens agents who may respond to your question.
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Thu Jul 25, 2013
Anu Dutta answered:
You need to contact your landlord or managing agent. You should receive your lease either when you sign it or after couple of weeks of moving in.
There might be some consequences if you want to break your lease, which you need to discuss with your landlord. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Thu Jul 25, 2013
Anu Dutta answered:
You might need to discuss this with a local broker for the right answer.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Search Advice