Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

In My Neighborhood in Kenwood : Real Estate Advice

  • All22
  • Local Info6
  • Home Buying6
  • Home Selling0
  • Market Conditions2

Activity 2
Sun Aug 19, 2012
Seth Captain answered:
Put on some nice jewelry. Talk on an iPhone, and replace your handkerchief with a twenty dollar bill. Walk to the train station. You'll have a good idea what safety is like when you get there. ... more
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Sun Dec 4, 2011
Accurate Inspections & Consulting answered:
Under Receivership all owners do NOT lose everything. As much as some people like to complain about receiverships they are a vital and necessary tool for the City and Housing Court to deal with particular building and association issues.
First off the City is not interested in taking your building away. That is a common misperception by people because they don't understand the process. Because of the court case it may seem like the City is trying to take the building. However, the City's interest is to get the building stabilized and safe. Those two conditions can of course cover a wide range of actions.
Just because the building goes into Receivership does NOT mean you lose legal ownership interest in your share of the building. You retain your legal ownership rights, those are NOT voided or canceled out in any way (so long as the Receivers costs are paid).
If the City is seeking to appoint a Receiver, then there are serious issues at this building. The City doesn't do this because they have nothing better to do. There are a number of important issues that come along with this type of situation. I suggest you contact an experienced Housing Court attorney. I have a couple listed on my website. You can also give me a call to discuss general questions.
It is important to understand that this is typically a long process. People may or may not have to vacate the building. There are likely to be major costs involved. The City typically wants a Receiver in place to deal with imminently dangerous building issues that current owners are either unwilling to deal with or unable to deal with.
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Search Advice