Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Kenvil : Real Estate Advice

  • All3
  • Local Info0
  • Home Buying1
  • Home Selling0
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 2
Wed Feb 16, 2011
Joe Serino answered:
Hi, Sally -

I am a NJ lic home inspector with 18 yrs and over 7500 inspections of experience. I have done many bank owned properties. It sounds like you have the ability to complete the process, but you will have to be proactive. You will need 50 gallons typically as a minimum if the tank was empty because deliveries of less are almost impossible to procure. Besides, you don't want to draw up the sediment at the bottom of the tank and clog the feed lines and burner nozzles, if they aren't already clogged. You'll know when the burner fires up, then smokes up and shuts down. You will absolutely need to operate the boiler in order to determine whether it functions normally and the distribution is adequate. Pipes can freeze and split and old pipes and radiators can be clogged and nonfunctional so that heat to some areas may be restricted.

As far as de-winterizing, if the utilities are still on, you can merely turn the water main valve on and pressurize the system. When done, shut it back off, then open all sink valves, flush toilets and pour antifreeze into the traps. The electric can just be left off.

The BIGGEST concern in these situations involving foreclosures is the
tendency of the prior homeowner to lose the ability both financially and otherwise to adequately
maintain the home. Deferred maintenance issues can range from needed painting to prevent
weathering and rot, to roof repairs, to leaking plumbing, loose bath wall tiles, etc, etc.
All of this adds up to an accumulation of issues that can lead to water damage, mold, animal
nesting and damage, etc. etc. These conditions will be readily discernible by a veteran who can
"connect the dots" using his powers of inference to make informed opinions based on science.

GET A THOROUGH INSPECTION from an experienced, licensed home inspector!
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Tue Feb 3, 2009
Catherine "Cathy" Chaudemanche answered:
Hi Stacey,

A lot of good answers from the Trulia Community...
I posted a short blog a few days ago on how to get approval for a short sale. You might find it interesting:

Cathy C.
... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Search Advice
Kenvil Zip Codes