Hi, I am a non resident (Canadian) looking to purchase investment properties in Florida, what are the best areas to look for? Vacation condos or homes

Asked by Ed, Outside U.S. Mon Oct 8, 2012

I also wanted to know what the tax implications are for Snowbirds looking to rent out investment properties. I realize there may be estate taxes and withholding tax but am not really sure how it works out. Any advice is appreciated!

Answers

2
Brigitte Luk…, Agent, Clearwater, FL
Mon Oct 8, 2012
Hi Ed,
Tom has given you some very helpful advice. Also, many condo associations only allow a certain amount of units that can be rented out and then you would have to be on a list and also - there may be certain leasing days per year allowed. Also, Some condo associations don't allow rentals until 1 year after purchase. Depending on the neighborhood and what you purchased the house for-
house rentals may also work for you - but then you would want to know the vacancy rate for the area.

If you are interested in the Pinellas County Area - I would be happy to assist you.

Brigitte Lukas-Szabady
Broker-Associate
Realty Executives-Suncoast
727-409-7237
http://www.fabulousfloridahomes.com
brigittelukas@verizon.net
Tom Priester, Agent, Tequesta, FL
Mon Oct 8, 2012
Dear Ed,

There are two aspects to consider when looking into the purchase of an investment property; the return on revenue you can reasonable expect based on the purchase price and the location and how it might be affected by future price appreciation. There is no difference in the rules for purchasing investment properties for Canadians. The only difference is when you are ready to sell the property you will be subject to a 10% withholding on the sales price until you have proven that any capital gains taxes have been paid in the United States.

When looking at project returns you need to carefully evaluate the purchase price and ongoing expenses like association fees, property taxes, insurance, etc. You also need to thoroughly investigate the current rental climate in the area surrounding the property. What are similar properties renting for, how quickly are the renting, how many similar properties are out there for rent, etc.

You also need to carefully evaluate the condition of the property and determine what expenses may be incurred in getting the property into rental condition. Many of my clients prefer to put hard surface flooring throughout as it stands up to wear and tear better than soft goods. One thing many investors overlook is if you are in an association will they accepts pets. Many pet lovers have a difficult time finding home that will accept their pets and this can be a huge benefit to investors. If you find a pet friendly situation it will make it easier in most locations to find tenants willing to pay a little more.

Future appreciation is hard to put a precise number on but the better the location the higher that appreciation will probably be. You can expect a little lower up front returns (in my area from 4% to 6% cash on cash returns) compared with up to 10% in less desirable areas and product types. One of your main choices will be to invest in a single family home or a condo/town home where the building exterior is maintained by the association. I have a great single family home unencumbered by any association that should spin off solid 8% returns in one of the top locations in Palm Beach County so if you would like to take a look at that opportunity please let me know.

The best thing you can do is locate a qualified Realtor who can properly assist you in locating good opportunities and be ready to act quickly when the right opportunities present themselves. If your search brings you to Palm Beach or Martin Counties I would be very happy to work with you towards meeting your goals. The current market is really a perfect storm and in my opinion Florida real estate in the right location is one of the absolute best investment opportunities we will see in our lifetimes.

Best of luck and if I can offer anything additional please let me know.

Always at Your Service,

Tom Priester e-PRO
"Results Driven Real Estate"

561 308-0175
tom@tompriester.com