Hi Folks, I'm in need of some advice to get started in investing in Real Estate.

Asked by Jim, Sutton, MA Sat Mar 23, 2013

I am hoping to find some direction on how to get started and would also love to find a local agent/broker that would be willing to work with/help a newbie. I'd like to stay as close to my neighborhood as possible but that's not critical. I just think I need to get started. Any help is very much appreciated! Feel free to email me at nitrorevo33@gmail.com - Thank you. Jim

Answers

8
Amanda Kelly, Agent, Mendon, MA
Tue Nov 4, 2014
Hi Jim! Congratulations on wanting to begin/expand your real estate portfolio! As you know, any investment you make will have risks, including real estate. As a previous blogger noted, you will want to know a great deal about your current finances and your degree of risk toleration. Over time, real estate is a solid investment, but as the past several years have shown, the market ebbs and flows (and sometimes dips quite a bit!). I am an agent with Team Horne at Lioce Properties, Inc. out of Mendon, and a current Sutton resident. We are unique in that when you work with us, you get the experience & service from a team of real estate professionals. We have several investor clients that we have & are currently working with. You can find out more about us at http://www.hornerealty.com or by visiting our FB page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-Horne-Lioce-Properties-I… . Kevin (our team leader) & I would be happy to hear how we could help meet your needs!
Heath Coker, Agent, Falmouth, MA
Wed Apr 3, 2013
I would contact a local real estate professional to help with this answer and to save time and money.
And you might:
Have your personal investment goals ready.
Have your contractor list ready.
Have your financing in place.
Be ready to make an offer.

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
Debra Vance, Agent, Ludlow, MA
Tue Mar 26, 2013
Congratulations. I am sure a Google search would help you find advice, plus books and seminars would be helpful, too. Also, if you're not handy, find a reliable, trustworthy contractor that you can work with. Also, some realtors specialize in investment properties, so find one in your area.

Good luck!!
Territory.c…, Agent, MA,
Sun Mar 24, 2013
Get pre approved so you know what you can afford, find yourself a buyer broker and then start to get familiar with what your money can buy. Once you have a general understanding of the market the next step is discussing the type of property to buy (condo's or multi families), the rental market and then your potential ROI.

Territory.com
Massachusetts Premier Buyer Brokerage
617 848 5407 x701
Web Reference:  http://territory.com
Angela Dolber, Agent, Whitinsville, MA
Sat Mar 23, 2013
Hi Jim. I just sent you an email answering your question and introducing myself since I am an agent in the Blackstone Valley. Let me know if I could be of any further service to your investment needs. Contact me anytime to chat.
Angela Dolber
Prudential Prime Properties
508-826-8553
Angeladolber@gmail.com
Christine Mo…, Agent, Wilbraham, MA
Sat Mar 23, 2013
You need to get pre approved. If you are then you are considered a serious buyer and agents will be more then willing to help.
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Sat Mar 23, 2013
Hi Jim,

There is no shortage of ways for ill informed people to make mistakes when it comes to real estate investing. The best way of protecting yourself and minimizing these mistakes is by becoming an expert on your selected targt location(s).

Amassing a knowledge base that includes pricing, condition, market sectors, distressed sales, the purchase precess, etc can take time. Being a savvy investor isn't something that just happens....it requires a considerable investment of time. Therefore, getting a real estate license might be a good thing to consider!

Tim Moore, Agent, Kitty Hawk, NC
Sat Mar 23, 2013
Jim,
Make your first stop at a lender or two to make sure you understand and can get the loan you will need. If you have been reading the Get Rich Quick real estate books many are selling you might find out why they are selling books and not investing in real estate. Good luck.