Buying a mixed-use R5. Is it possible to take off rental market to remodel into 3 unit live/work using adaptive reuse?

Asked by Brian J. Lee, Los Angeles, CA Sat Mar 9, 2013

4 units are tenant-occupied residential units with one vacant commercial space on the ground floor. The building was built in the mid-20's. The 4 residential units are less than 500 sq.ft. and in below average condition -- I'd like to gut the entire second floor and turn the upstairs into 2 live/work units, occupying one of the units myself. I'd also like to turn the downstairs commercial space into a live/work to broaden my potential pool of tenants.

Answers

1
Dorene Slavi…, Agent, Torrance, CA
Sat Mar 9, 2013
Hi Newb,
Los Angeles City zoning is complex and it does depend upon where this property is located. My advice is to take your completed plans downtown to the city to discuss what you would like to do. Hopefully, you are in an area where the city if looking with favor on mixed use developments.