what is the zoning for this area?

Asked by Debbie Oguin, Salt Lake City, UT Sun Mar 17, 2013

my friend has moved in this neighborhood and was wondering if this house is zoned for basement apartment living?

This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/3059782923-3389-S-800-E-Salt-…

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Debbie Oguin’s answer
Debbie Oguin, Home Buyer, Salt Lake City, UT
Mon Mar 18, 2013
HELLO THERE...YES these is a separate entrance to the basement apartment....but the post office said there is no such address for mail delivered to that house for 2 family's that live there...she cant receive any mail in her name ..there's only one address..shes been there 2 months already...so whats the zoning for that address? can a different person live in that basement for an apartment?
0 votes
Hi Debbie. Unfortunately because of the complex rules and regulations that the local governments have created, I do not have an answer for you :) Contacting Salt Lake County is probably the best way to get an answer and clarification on the situation. I prefer not to just pass you on to someone else, but in this case, talking to the authority on zoning is really the only way to get an accurate answer.
Flag Tue Mar 19, 2013
Dustin Brohm, Agent, Salt Lake City, UT
Mon Mar 18, 2013
Debbie, does your friends home have a separate basement entrance to the basement apartment? The county tax records say that it is zoned as type 111- "Single Family Residence - One or more residences per parcel; a home that was originally constructed as a residence but now may have more than one unit."

I would recommend contacting the Salt Lake county Planning & Zoning Dept- http://www.pw.slco.org/
The County's Phone # is 385 468-7070.

I'm sorry, I wish I could be more specific on who to contact, but the County Government doesn't exactly make it easy to figure out. Their receptionist should be able to point you in the right direction though.
0 votes
Wendy Starli…, Agent, RIVERTON, UT
Mon Mar 18, 2013
If the home already has a basement apartment she should find out if permits were given, and inspections done, etc. however to have it actually "zoned" she would need to find out if that city will allow her to have it zoned a legal duplex. Some cities, such as Orem, won't allow any more legal duplexes. There is an application process and the property would have to meet certain criteria.
0 votes
firstname la…, Agent, Portland, OR
Sun Mar 17, 2013
It depends on if it already has a basement apartment, has an approved building permit for the space or was grandfathered in or if a new build out is going to be done. The city of Salt Lake's planning department would be able to answer that question.
0 votes
Hello Kim..its Debbie, thanks for responding to my letter...this house was built in the 50's and yes it has a basement and its where my friend is living now but it says its a single dwelling home online here...there no additional address for her to get ''mail'' sent to her house ? she been there 2 months now..do you have the phone number to the 'slc planning department so she can call them..she is so puzzled right now , she doesnt know what to do...thanks again...Debbie
Flag Sun Mar 17, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more