we boh are 53 years of age said 55 and older law in fl states 20 percent can be younger what's our chances . thanks

Asked by Suzyq12468, Mountain Home, AR Sat Jan 12, 2013

Answers

7
Tammy Hayes’ answer
Tammy Hayes, Agent, Port Charlotte, FL
Sat Jan 12, 2013
It is not a law that 20 percent can be younger. Each 55+ community sets their own rules and regulations. Most of them require at least one person (if it is a couple) to be at least 55. Here is a link to the registered 55+ communities in Florida. http://fchr.state.fl.us/housing_directory/search

I would be happy to help you find a home or answer any questions you may have.

Tammy Hayes, Realtor
tammyhayesre@gmail.com
941-276-6185
Rick Taylor, , Venice, FL
Thu May 16, 2013
Yes, however most HOA are flexable as long as they are in their 50s. then state law says there is a certain percentage isallowable. I know a couple who challange the HOA and won! Good luck. Call me if you need help.
Barbara Safr…, Agent, Walnut Creek, CA
Sat Jan 12, 2013
Move to Walnut Creek California! Weather great, Rossmoor is a 55 and older community, only one of you needs to be 55!
Terri Vellios, Agent, Campbell, CA
Sat Jan 12, 2013
My experience with the age restricted community is that ONE of the occupants must be 55+. The 20% rule would take into affect younger spouses and sometimes adult children or co-tenants.

This was the case when my husband and I purchased in an age restricted community. He was 56 and I was no 55 yet. I asked the community what happens if he should pass before I turn 55? The response was that I would need to have a 55+ co-tenant, or I would need to sell. Fortunately we are both 55+.

Have an amazing day!
Web Reference:  http://www.terrivellios.com
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Sat Jan 12, 2013
Suzy,
No problem.
You can buy in nearly any age restricted community.
Find the location and property you want and buy at todays price.
However, you can not LIVE there until one of you,or both meet the age requirements.
You might consider renting to 'pay the way' until you are ready to move. You must check the community lease/rent rules.

If that does not align with what is possible, you need to start looking seriously, three to six months before the 55th birthday.
Steven Chapm…, Agent, Venice, FL
Sat Jan 12, 2013
There are many 55+ communities in the Venice area, do you have one in mind?
Ron and Susan…, Agent, Bradenton, FL
Sat Jan 12, 2013
Hi Suzy,

You want to purchase in a retirement community? Most of the complexes are stringent about wanting the homeowners to be over 55. It would really depend on the unit and what their percentage of ownership is. Honestly, I dont think your changes are very good.

We have many communities that are not age restricted that offer many of the same ammenities as the 55+ ones do. I would be happy to email you listings to review if you'd like to share your requirements with me.

Have a great weekend,
Susan

Ron and Susan Noce, Realtors
Key Realty
Mobile: 941-518-3954
Email: sue@ronnoce.com