want to know if bedrooms in a walk out basement count in the appraisal?

Asked by Allesee78, Mishawaka, IN Wed Sep 19, 2012

Answers

5
Jody Jones, Agent, Elkhart, IN
Wed Sep 19, 2012
If the room has a closet and there is an egress window either in the room or its a walkout, then you may advertise it as a bedroom and it should be included as finished footage in the appraisal.
We are not finding this to be true and it's very frustrating that we have gotten many conflicting answers. An appraisor says, "can only count sq. footage that is on level or above for an appraisal." Even our architect said that this would count, but the bank says no.
Flag Tue Oct 2, 2012
Annette Levi…, , New York, NY
Wed Sep 19, 2012
FannieMae and FreddieMac do not consider basement rooms in the square footage count unless they are above ground. Then they must comply with local zoning regulations.
Edith Karoli…, Agent, Winnetka, IL
Wed Sep 19, 2012
you got your answers already below, if it is a walk out basement and the bedroom has a window
and closet, that it should be considered in the appraisal...
Good luck to you...

Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life & Chicago and Northern Illinois Expert

Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and Investors alike....
And always with a SMILE 
Covering for @Properties the city of Chicago, all N and NW suburbs, the fine homes on the
North Shore, and many of the W and SW suburbs, and with her trusted Partner Agents all of
the US and worldwide properties. Edith speaks French, German, some Spanish and other.....
@Properties, 30 Green Bay Rd, Winnetka, Illinois 60093 ---- EdithDoesItRight@yahoo.com or EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com Check out my website at htttp://www.tinyurl.com/MeetEdithHere
get to know me better and learn about my experience, expertise, services available and letters of recommendation of former clients..... Also you can sign up on my site to search for properties in my expanded service area. HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY :)
Ryan Clark, Agent, Carmel, IN
Wed Sep 19, 2012

If the basement is finished and it has an egress window it would be considered apart of the over all living space to the home.

Basic requirments in order for a window to be considered egress:

Width = 20in
Hight = 24in

Then you must have 5.7 sqft of landing area once outside.

Hope this helps!
Stephanie We…, Agent, Mishawaka, IN
Wed Sep 19, 2012
They are allowing basement bedrooms if there is an egress window in the room or a walk out LL.