my neighbor built a house next to me in 10306 what is the minimum distance allowed between houses or property?

Asked by Joel, Richmond Town, Staten Island, NY Fri Feb 19, 2010

Answers

5
Joseph Runfola’s answer
Joseph Runfo…, Agent, Staten Island, NY
Sat Feb 27, 2010
Hello Joel, it would be helpful to know what street you are asking about. That zip code has a few different building zones such as R3X, R3A, and R3-1. In order to answer the question correctly more specific information is needed.
Web Reference:  http://www.clovelake.com
Robin Silver…, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Garden City, NY
Fri Feb 26, 2010
You can try going to NYC.gov, then to the building department site. You can try putting in the address and see what comes up. If they got a building permit, they would have had to be in compliance. Seeing as it is a NYC borough, I would imagine that they can be closer to the property line than is allowed in the suburbs. I owned a home in Queens for a number of years, and the houses were very close to each other. Plots of land are much smaller too.
Pat & Steve…, Agent, Westlake, OH
Fri Feb 26, 2010
I suggest that you go to the "dept of buildings " in person with the info you have & the questions you have. These technical issues can best be resolved when the parties are in the same room.
Cathy Catale…, Agent, staten island, NY
Fri Feb 26, 2010
Joel

When you call the department of buildings, try to have all your information needed. You will need, address and block and lot numbers. This is all public information and you should be able to find it by looking it up on the tax records.

From all the years I've sold real estate on Staten Island, I know that the dept of buildings is very strict on their approvals, and would easily give anyone who isn't within the guidlines a violation.

If a home is built without being in comforming with the code, they will not be able to obtain a certificate of occupancy (c of o). Without a c of o, I don't know if that home could ever be sold.

here is a site that may be helpful to you. http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/bispi00.jsp

Cathy Cataletto 917-829-1402
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
CathysCasa@aol.com
Serviing Staten Island & New Jersey
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Fri Feb 19, 2010
Joel, call the town building department, and see what the side yard setback is in your particular neighborhood.