is keller williams a good realestate agent?

Asked by Ruthscott, Wilsonville, OR Thu Jul 21, 2011

Answers

13
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Fri Jul 22, 2011
Sure.

Here's the thing - large companies have a lot of good agents, and . . . well, they have a lot of agents. The idea that small companies have a disproportionate number of good or bad agents is debatable.

Point being, it's not the brokerage, but the broker - the agent that is working for you - that makes the difference. Keller Williams is a reputable firm, but they are large enough to have close to their share of not-so-good agents. Whether they do or not, I do not know!

Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Fri Jul 22, 2011
While your contract will be with the BROKER, the work will be with an AGENT.
Meet Agents and go with the one you like, no matter where they hang their shingle.

Good luck and may God bless
Marilyn Hold…, Agent, Westfield, NJ
Fri Jul 22, 2011
Ruth Scott,

It looks like you are currently a Renter in Oregon. I'm assuming that Oregon, like New Jersey, has Sunday Open Houses. My advice would be to take a Sunday afternoon and try to visit a handful of OHs. Rather than just focusing on the houses themselves, focus on the Agents. Do you feel comfortable with them? Do you get a positive impression of their knowledge and communication skills? Then select perhaps 2 or 3 that you
wish to "interview" in more depth. Some Agents "specialize" (they only want to "list" properties, not work with Buyers; some work only in certain areas of town; some focus only on townhouses/condos, some only want to work with the "million dollar buyers"). As others have said, it's not just about the Brokerage, but the individual Agent -- pick someone you're going to want to be spending a lot of future time, as your home search could take
many, many weeks. There are good Agents and not-so-good Agents in every company.

Marilyn Holda-Fleck
Prudential NJ Properties
Suz A, Agent, Longmont, CO
Tue Jul 26, 2011
Keller Williams is an image, a particular brand and that's the extent of it. Agents are the front line people who do the marketing, counsel clients, negotiate, and keep an eye out for great deals that come on the market. They also build knowledge and share that knowledge.

I agree with others here. You want to interview several agents. You can use Trulia if you like. Go to the home page. On the right side of the menu at the top of the page is a link called "Find a Pro."

SuZ
PML of Longmont, CO
Caroline Choi, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Fri Jul 22, 2011
Keller Williams is a brokerage at which many different agents hold their real estate sales/broker licenses. I think ultimately it's important to work with an individual agent you feel comfortable with and trust. Your dealings will be primarily with this agent unless the broker/manager/or branch needs to get involved for some reason. Best of luck.
Robin Weisge…, Agent, Lake Oswego, OR
Fri Jul 22, 2011
Interesting question, you must see plenty of red Keller Williams Realty signs around Wilsonville and wonder if the company is as good and the sign. I joined Keller Williams 4 years ago after I worked for another good company in the area for several years. I changed because I loved the Keller Williams business model and an office atmosphere where agents, although independent contractors work with each other to better everyone. I have lived in Wilsonville, OR for 15 years. Keller Williams wasn't as well know in Oregon until locally in 2004-5, however the Keller Williams model of doing business is changing the way real estate agents are educated and do business. One way we're different is our philosophy that promotes win-win deals for buyers & sellers and our agents who collectively help one another to benefit everyone's clients. This may surprise you but Keller Williams Realty is the 2nd largest real estate company in the United States and we didn't get there by accident. If you want to really know what are agents are like give me a call and I'd be happy to meet with you to discuss your real estate goals and show you how Keller Williams is different.

Robin Weisgerber
Licensed Oregon Realtor, Keller Williams Realty - Portland Premiere Office
503-481-3234 Mobile
503-597-2444 Office
Dave Sutton, Agent, Portland, OR
Fri Jul 22, 2011
Find an agent you "like" may not be the right answer. There is a time in almost every transaction where I bring news to my client, or make a recommendation, they don't "like".

For an extreme (though not so unusual) example, many people who want to sell have the wrong idea about what determines the value of their home. I am in a transaction right now in which the seller's agent repeatedly told me what the home sold for in 2005 (more than it will sell for today). It was priced substantially below what the seller paid for it then, but not at market value (or it would have sold in less than the year it's been for sale). I am sure the seller did not "like" the agent's news of my buyer's offer of substantially below list. Yet after a counter from each side, a price was agreed to.

Other examples of the correct answer not being one a seller would like have to do with the condition of the home and how it would affect the saleability, much less the price. After one listing appointment with the child of the recently deceased owner, I said the two relatives currently living there would need to move out if they had any chance of selling it at anywhere close to a market price. I'm sure they didn't like me for giving them that news (and I didn't get the listing).

So let's not let "like" be the only criteria. You need to be able to communicate with your agent, and vice versa, even that that will involve some unpleasant times. You need an agent who has the experience to be able to advise you through a lengthy and delicate set of negotiations (and that includes more than just the sale price)
Gerard Carney, Agent, Spring Hill, FL
Fri Jul 22, 2011
I am not a Keller Williams Agent, so I have no prejudice in this answer. Most of their agents are very good Realtors! It is more important that you are comfortable with the agent you wish to deal with!
Mary Stewart, Agent, Beaverton, OR
Fri Jul 22, 2011
The name of the real estate brokerage is a brand name. There are many good agents is a lot of different offices. You want to be comfortable and trust the agent you begin to work as when looking for a home you spend many hours with them, and listening to their advice. Interviewing different agents is a good thing so you may make a determination of which one you would like to work with. I live and work in Wilsonville and would be happy to meet you anytime and have a cup of coffee. No obligation or pressure. My number is 503-635-7121 and I would love to meet you and possibly help you in any way I could.

Mary Stewart
Terri Vellios, Agent, Campbell, CA
Thu Jul 21, 2011
Keller Williams is the Brokerage who hires the agents. I work with Keller Williams in California and have high praises. Each office is managed by a broker and team leader. It is best to interview your agents to see who is the best fit for you.
Web Reference:  http://www.terrivellios.com
Ron Fowler, , Vancouver, WA
Thu Jul 21, 2011
I agree with the others. Interview at least 3 agents and talk to people you know to see if they recommend anyone. Keller Williams is a fine company as are many others out there. Best of luck in your search. If I can be of any help, please feel free to contact me.
Lana Lavenba…, Agent, Grants Pass, OR
Thu Jul 21, 2011
Keller Williams is the name of a real estate office - it isnt the name of an agent. You need to interview at least 3 agents that might be able to help you. Friends, family - co workers all may be able to give you the name of one or so that have done a great job for them, then you wouldnt need to interview 3 to find one that works for you. Good luck in getting what you need. If you would like a referral from a great agent in the Grants Pass area to the Wilsonville area- give me a hollar - I would love to help you!
Corri Klebaum, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Clackamas, OR
Thu Jul 21, 2011
Keller Williams is the brand... the agent or rather the person is who you are placing your trust in. Ask for a referral from a friend, family member, or co-worker.