im not looking for stats.. can atl, ga get a hurricane?

Asked by Mike, Smyrna, GA Tue Sep 2, 2008

how close are we to a body of water

Answers

7
Jerri M. Sut…, , 98502
Tue Sep 9, 2008
Yes Atlanta can get a hurricane. It will have to travel a great distance over land to get there but it can make it. I think Savannah Brunswick area may be closest ocean front. What is that 4.5 hours away. We had the after affects of a hurricane back in 2005 I think it was. Pretty strong stuff. Oh by the way we also had an earthquake about 6 years ago. By the way how is the weather there today? We moved back to Washington State a year ago, we miss it there (Douglasville).
Natasha, , Midtown, Atlanta, GA
Tue Sep 9, 2008
hurricane Opal reached ATL a few years ago - still as a CAt1 -73+ mi/hr winds...you can check this info on the weather channel
Todd, Both Buyer And Seller, 30066
Sun Sep 14, 2008
Only 3 hurricanes have hit the Georgia coast in the past 106 years. I'd worry more about tornadoes - they seem to strike everywhere around the metro area equally, downtown as well.

We're also overdue for an earthquake. - http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/states/georgia/history.php
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Tue Sep 2, 2008
Mike,

In this location(Atlanta) it's more likely to be a tropical storm with lots of rain but no Cat. 1's......You should be more concerned about tornados.
William M "M…, Agent, Suwanee, GA
Tue Sep 2, 2008
Hi Mike,

By the time a hurricane reaches the Metro Atlanta area it has been over land long enough to be down graded to to tropical depression or just a good old storm. It has been quite a few years since we had one come our way. We could actually stand for one to come this way and drop some much needed rainfall into Lake Lanier.
Gina Weeks, Agent, Marietta, GA
Tue Sep 2, 2008
Been here for 30+ years...and no.
Joshua Jarvis, Agent, Duluth, GA
Tue Sep 2, 2008
I suppose you should never say never, but no hurricanes here, especially in Smyrna. Tornadoes though, that's something to look out for.
Web Reference:  http://www.gahomesdigest.com