Yes, tell me about the town? things to do? nightlife? restaurants? shopping? etc. etc etc. THANK YOU

Asked by Ivan Picc, New York, NY Sun Feb 12, 2012

Answers

2
richnhil, , Stamford, NY
Sat Mar 9, 2013
I have loved East Meredith since I lived there full time in the 1970s, but if you're looking for a lively village scene ala Woodstock or Saugerties or even Margaretville, move along and look elsewhere.

Most of the time there is NO activity in East Meredith. Even the general store and gas station closed long ago. BUT there is the wonderful Hanford Mill museum in town — a working 19th Century water mill — which sponsors daytime activities during warmer months. The mill pond is a terrific swimming hole.

The town has a nice place for field games — from baseball to soccer — or large family gatherings.

An underground art scene has attracted both terrific homegrown artists like Richard Kathmann (who saved the mill from extinction) and transplants like avant garde performer Meredith Monk.

Not far from town is the West Kortright Centre. It's a converted church nestled in a valley straight out of a Grant Wood painting.The Centre hosts an eclectic list of indoor and outdoor performances by artists of both local and world renown as well as delightful community gatherings. It's a place to make new friendships and cement old ones while learning to tango, mambo or do the Virginia reel.

Also nearby is the East Meredith Rod and Gun Club which hosts a variety of impromptu gatherings.

Twenty miles away, Oneonta is the nearest city and, because it is home to two colleges, there is a lively bar scene there.

But sunset dinners with friends at their farmstead, feasting on locally-raised meats and vegetables, perhaps washed down with a Finger Lakes Reisling or Cabernet Franc, is really the best of East Meredith nightlife.
Suzanne Darl…, Agent, Oneonta, NY
Sun Feb 10, 2013
HI John Stamford is a nice small town this website should give you more info; http://catskillmtns.org/category/stamford/. If you are looking to move to the area I can give you even more inoformation. Contact me.

Sue

website: http://www.suedarling.com