Would a house 5 city blocks from a new construction for low income housing cause the value to decline?

Asked by Pastor King, 77379 Sat Sep 3, 2011

We are planning to build affordable and market rate housing for seniors. Some of the neighbors which live 5 city blocks away from the proposed project have been told their property values would decline. Is this true? How close must the houses be in order to have property values decline

Answers

8
J, , American Canyon, CA
Mon Sep 5, 2011
The deception to the community is already in place and you are just going along because it benefits you

The terms are used, mixed around, etc so as to "confuse" any debate

"Politicians" being for it means little as most of them go along to get along

With the Feds involved THAT MEANS THAT FORCE IS BEING USED, COVERTLY AT FIRST, BUT AT THE READY IF NECESSARY

SO WHEN YOU ALLOW PEOPLE TO LIVE IN A NEIGHBORHOOD THAT THEY HAVE NOT earned their way into OR MORE APPROPIATELY, BEEN ALLOWED TO "ROBIN HOOD" THEIR WAY INTO
NOTHING GOOD WILL EVER COME FROM IT

Its the way the Universe works,,,, leftist guilt aside
Pastor King, , 77379
Mon Sep 5, 2011
Thank you all for your answers they were most helpful. Some of the things I have already done such as reaching out to the community. The building will not detract from the community. I wish I could post the rendering on line. I'll try to describe the rendering. First, the housing will be on an ajoining lot to a library, medical center, and retail facilities not residential homes. As a matter of fact the housing will sit in a commercial area. The closest homes are 2 blocks away. The building is designed to blend in with the nearby medical center which is aesthetically pleasing. We also have lots of landscaping in the front and back to compliment the park which is behind the property. Don in response to your statement the housing will both affordable (tax credit) and market rate. In this particular community there are both incomes. Marita in response to your question as far as I know those residents who are in opposition to the project have not consulted any one in real estate; however I have and was informed that the project would not impact negatively on the neighborhood because there is already a large retail community, and the Post Office built a regional facility in the area as well. Bruce it may be me but I feel that I have a moral duty to let the community know what the project is before so that there are no surprises later on. We began circulating a petition a few weeks ago stating that the housing would be low income only. However, last week a HUD representative informed me that we could do "affordable" (tax credit) and market rate together. So I am pushing the term "affordable" rather than low income. Notwithstanding, I believe that if the community knows up front what the project is the detractors of the project won't be able to say in a future community meeting we tried to deceive the community. All of the local politicians have voiced their favor for the project as long as there is community support. Bruce, I am in the Philadelphia area. Currently almost all of our affordable senior housing has anywhere from a 3 to 5 year waiting list. Another church built senior housing and residents moved in in March of 2010. As of today there is a 5 year waiting list. There is great need for affordable housing in our area. Also Bruce based on the rendering not only would people want their parents living there, the seniors who have seen the renderings say they would live there.
Now corrrect me, what I am reading is the home values will be affected negatively based on multiple factors not just because there is affordable senior housing.
Again thanks for your answers and suggestions they are really helping me understand the process more.
J, , American Canyon, CA
Sun Sep 4, 2011
Nadine

its whats on the inside that counts
J, , American Canyon, CA
Sun Sep 4, 2011
We all know of the slippery slope

so low income housing is trouble down the road

100%?

no

But if common sense fails , then all you have to do is go to any city and look where there is crime and the income level

"seniors only" places wouldnt be as much trouble and thats why the dogs in the government try and blend it all together so when one argues against low income housing the racists can they say its senior housing etc

its a bad game hud and all the leftists play

on the tax payers

the areas in st louis that I have live are the same all over the country
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Sun Sep 4, 2011
I don't know if there is a one case fits all solution or calculation.
It all depends.
I would guess senior housing would not detract from the neighborhood.
You might want to drop the stigma of "affordable" housing.
That can have negative connotations to some.

Would any of these neighbors want their parents living there?
Reach out to them. Reach out to the local senior citizen center.
Reach out to the social agencies in the community.
Build where there is need and demand.

You might think of other ways to help seniors instead of building housing.
This is a major and LONG term undertaking.
You might want to instead allow them to utilize current marketplace options.
Could you instead subsidize rent or utilities or groceries or other living expesnes
instead and let them live where they want, closer to family, friends, or support services.
Web Reference:  http://www.teamlynn.com
Marita Topmi…, Agent, Indianapolis, IN
Sun Sep 4, 2011
Will it be a nice facility, Pastor King? I have seen homes within a 5 block radius
of nice senior living facilities retain value. Who have the neighbors been
talking to? What kind of evidence do they have? Has a local Realtor been
consulted?

Thx,

Marita
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Sun Sep 4, 2011
Which is it: "low income housing" or "affordable and market rate housing for seniors"? They're not the same thing.

Nadine makes a valid point about the style and quality of houses fitting in with the neighborhood. That's important. However . . .

Your neighbors are also concerned about the style and quality of the residents fitting in, as well. (Lot of posters here understandably are nervous/reluctant to suggest that.) I'm absolutely not saying that the residents of a low income (or even affordable income) housing would be any different--except economically--from the residents already there. But there may be a concern among some current residents that along with the lower incomes may come other problems--drugs, crime, etc. That'd be less of a likelihood with senior housing, of course, but there's still a concern that the new residents may be different.

Again, recognize the validity of Nadine's point. But go beyond that. I'd suggest reaching out to the surrounding community and making the argument that the new residents will be a benefit to the community, not a detriment. Contact a local college that has a journalism/public relations track and talk to an instructor there. Try to get some free advice. The first thing I thought of (I've got a background in journalism and PR) is an outreach program. Profile individuals who would be moving in, or at least typical seniors who are living in similar nearby facilities. It might be an elderly man who served with distinction in Korea, returned home, started a business (or worked in a business), and then retired. An older woman who was married for 40 years until her husband passed away, and whose kids have become teachers, firemen, etc. In other words, humanize the residents. It's easier for neighbors to be concerned about "low income housing." It's far more difficult for them to hate or fear someone with an engaging, uplifting story.

Nadine Cius, Agent, Houston, TX
Sun Sep 4, 2011
Pastor King,

I don't think it has anything to do with how close the houses are, rather than how aestheticaly pleasing they are. The quality and aesthetics are what would impact property values. Honestly, we all have seen some affordable housing that can be spotted a mile away and left much to be desired. On the other hand, I have seen some built that have actually enhanced the community because they looked very nice.

If you are planing to build affordable housing, you should make sure that the aesthetics matches the neighborhood. You should hold a neighborhood meeting and show the neighbors your plans. Once the neighbors see that these houses are going to be quality homes, they will come arround.