Which Trenton neighborhood has the lowest crime rate ?

Asked by Margaret Furman, 07748 Wed Mar 3, 2010

Answers

9
dan, , Trenton, NJ
Fri Jan 25, 2013
We've got crime stat info for Trenton but really, the answer for which Trenton neighborhoods are the safest pretty much follow the average home prices.

Hiltonia
Mill Hill - though we have the challenge of being right in the heart of the city. A good thing and sometimes not good.
Cadwalader Heights
Berkeley Square
Glen Afton
The Island

There are absolutely beautiful homes in all of these neighborhoods for ridiculously low prices.

Dan Dodson
reinventtrenton.com
Cara Realtors, Agent, Bay Head, NJ
Thu Apr 15, 2010
Stay near the border of Hamilton and its ok.
Lalor and Liberty Streets are near Hamilton, and the neighborhoods are alright.

Cara Realtors
Christina Cl…, Landlord, Snellville, GA
Thu Apr 15, 2010
Your best source of information would be the local police department. Unfortunately Realtors don't have the liberty of disclosing such information. Once you decide on the area, feel free to contact me and we can search propertes together.

Christinatherealtor@rocketmail.com
Bob Hope, Home Buyer, New York
Fri Mar 5, 2010
Ha! Jeff, I never doubted ur intelligence!
I'm sure glad you didn't beat me to my pic as it is sacred to me.
Maybe we'll check out ur friends place on my next trip to el capital.
Oh, and yes I do Hope to see u around.
Jeff K, Home Buyer, Bristol, PA
Fri Mar 5, 2010
@ Bob,

Hmmmm! Who are you, Bob Hope? You are certainly not new to Trulia and you seem to know Trenton all right. Are we to expect that you'll stick around with this one name ongoing so that we may look forward to the benefits of your experience under one profile? Cute profile pic ... I should have thought of that one.

Do you often eat down there? Chambersburg isn't what it used to be but still has some great spots like Amici and Guatelinda. By the way, if you like TRUE Authentic Mexican - there's a new place opening on 1505 West Upper Ferry Rd. My best friend and his family are all Mexican and they can COOK!

If you like Indian food the Best place anywhere (guaranteed) is Cafe Bombay in Bristol Borough. Dinner only and byob. The chef is a master!

Hope to see you around!

Jeff
Bob Hope, Home Buyer, New York
Thu Mar 4, 2010
Margaret, Jeff is right. Move to PA. You can buy in some parts of West Trenton, Chambersburg, the Island, etc. but why take a chance of landing on the wrong block? Why pay high property tax?
Trenton of all places can change from block to block and they have way too many forclosures. I just checked and there are thousands of them.
Obviously, you don't have an agent yet or you have one u don't trust or u wouldnt be asking this question. If you do buy in Trenton you'd better get an agent who knows the areas really well.
Jeff K, Home Buyer, Bristol, PA
Thu Mar 4, 2010
Hi Margaret,

It so happens that agents can't directly answer questions on crime rates for any area - they must direct you to the police or other sources. Here's a very good link with a map with colors indicating crime levels. Pretty cool! http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/nj/trenton/crime/

I see that you currently live in Middletown. May we please know why you are interested in Trenton? That would REALLY help us to figure out an area that might be a good fit.

For instance, if you are planning to buy something for your son/daughter to attend TCNJ ... well that changes what areas are good for that and I know them well.

Broadly, unless you have a really specific need to want to buy in Trenton, then I would really recommend against it. The property taxes are INSANELY high. A very close friend has a house in Ewing. It's worth about $225K and his taxes are $5500 A YEAR.

In Trenton it can be even worse. I was interested in a house on the river (an area called The Island) for about $130K and it's taxes were also $5300. On one of the best streets, Fisher Lane, a GRAND VICTORIAN - 6 BR / 3 Bath - $120K and $6000 in taxes. But ... a block away are row houses with boarded up windows and bad crime.

Most of Trenton REALLY got hit VERY HARD during the economic downturn. If you don't really know the area then it would be hard to imagine how far it fell in the last several years from where it was. Many stately homes on State St (no pun intended) went into disrepair.

Trenton is really a tragedy and has only very small pockets of areas that are possibly interesting, albeit with VERY high taxes. An area called HILLTONIA is perhaps the best. There is also an area right next to Business Rt 1 that is being gentrified, mostly by people from Poland but also some Czecks, etc. They have some AMAZING restaurants, food stores and meats. Yum!

Again - unless you have a specific reason to be interested in Trenton, you would be well-advised to buy just over the border in PA.

Would you please elaborate on what your needs are? Right now we can only guess and we'd like to help.

Jeff
Jerry Barker, Agent, Atlantic City, NJ
Thu Mar 4, 2010
This site here has all the information your looking for. http://www.city-data.com/city/Trenton-New-Jersey.html
Web Reference:  http://www.sjrates.com
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Wed Mar 3, 2010
The best source of information regarding crime is the local police department--why not visit, ask all your questions and hear all there is to hear firsthand--if you aren't familiar with the area consider driving through neighborhoods more than once and at different times of day--then make a determination--where will your comfort level best be reached.