When we got the new tax assessment I was surprised by the large decrease when I compared it to my neighbors property her land went down less than?

Asked by Herekit, Anne Arundel County, MD Sun Jan 3, 2010

mine and her land area is bigger. Have we been paying more taxes on our land all this time and are we due a refund of the difference

Answers

4
Jennifer Chi…, Agent, Annapolis, MD
Wed Oct 13, 2010
We had the same thing happen to our property but you will be surprised if you call the AA County assessment office. Even though your assessment has been lowered it does not necessarily mean that your taxes will be lowered. In our case, our assessment was reduced by almost $80,000 BUT our taxes went up. They even tried to remove our Homestead Tax credit because of the decrease in assessment. I called the assessment office and spoke with someone there who reinstated the Homestead Tax credit but after she explained how they calculate the taxes, they always seem to get their money. They have this formula they use and they will explain it to you in detail. Unfortunately the bottom line is, even if they reduce your tax assessment, it doesn’t mean your taxes will go down. The negative impact when that happens is, your house is assessed (valued) less but you aren’t getting the tax break. Call the number on your bill and speak with the tax assessment office and see what they say about your particular situation.
Christine Jo…, , Severna Park, MD
Mon Jan 4, 2010
I also received my assessment in the mail and was surprised to see how low the assessment was on our property. I then reminded myself that this is how they calculate how much we owe in taxes each year. So think of your assessment as a gift on taxes and not your homes value. I am a Realtor and I do comparative market analysis on my own home on a regular basis and I am not worried. Real Estate agents rarely use the assessed value to help our clients price their homes.
If I can be of any more assistance to you please give me a call.
Christine
410-507-9968
Pat & Steve…, , Westlake, OH
Sun Jan 3, 2010
Congratulations! The County Assessor/Auditor just gave you a gift. There are so many people across the country who are filing appeals of their property tax assessments, because their assessments have gone up when the market values of their homes have gone down. No, counties don't make property tax refunds. Your property probably was worth more in past years before the recession.
Bob Lowery, , Baltimore County, MD
Sun Jan 3, 2010
The county will not give you a refund on property taxes.