Michael John…, Both Buyer and Seller in New York

What is the cheapest truck service to use for moving in NYC area? Uhaul, Budget, Penske Ryder or another I dont know about? Thanks

Asked by Michael Johnson, New York Mon Apr 9, 2012

Answers

6
Mirela Ander…, , New York, NY
Mon Apr 23, 2012
Oz Moving Co 212-452-6683
David Donen (daviddonen@ozmoving.com)
First Last, , 90002
Tue Apr 10, 2012
The only way to be sure of the best pricing is to call various companies, because any company could be running a temporary promotional offer. Also how much you have to move could affect which company is best for you.

Karla Harby
Lic RE Salesperson
Rutenberg Realty
kharby@crrnyc.com
212-688-1000x146
Trevolyn Hai…, Agent, Highland, CA
Mon Apr 9, 2012
Hello Michael,

I suggest that you contact all three through their websites & get a quote (don't forget to see if you qualify for any extra discounts such as AAA, senior, Amex or other credit card discounts, etc.) & then wait around two days.

I found that the companies will email you a follow up and they often include an extra discount at that time.

Also, depending on how far you are moving and if there are multiple locations to pick up & drop off that are convenient, check the differences between the local rental & their one way rates.

I offer home staging as part of my services and rent trucks often & I usually end up at Penske and sometimes Budget. Uhaul I found is more expensive, their trucks don't seem as nice, and I find that when I do use them (like when I just need a small trailer) at their stores (not the little dealers that are also businesses like storage units) they are always understaffed & we have to wait to get served.

Another tip, if you are comfortable haggling, is after you get your quotes call around to the actual pick up locations and see if you can beat it. (This usually works better if you are using a competitor's quote).

Best of luck,
Trevolyn
Getting a quote would be a great place to start. Sometimes the cheapest one is not the one that you should go for. It would be best to look at review and what past customers have said about their experiences.
http://www.stor-king.com/
Flag Mon Nov 10, 2014
Penske Truck…, , Reading, PA
Mon Apr 9, 2012
We work for Penske Truck Rental and welcome the opportunity to provide you with a quote. We also offer great discount programs for AAA members, active military members and college students with ID. We can be reached at 1-800-467-3675 or you can get a free quote online at http://www.pensketruckrental.com and we hope to serve your moving needs.
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Mon Apr 9, 2012
Contact the companies for free estimates; cheap isn't always better....
Jenet Levy, Agent, New York, NY
Mon Apr 9, 2012
I would suggest calling each and getting their rates and comparing. Another option might be a lesser-known company, such as the various "Man with a Van" type services that advertise in local paper, craigslist, etc. I would always ask for references on these.