What is it like to live in Hunter's Point? I heard it is crime ridden.

Asked by Jennifer Morgan, San Mateo, CA Mon Jul 25, 2011

Answers

7
Pete Flint, Home Buyer, Noe Valley, San Francisco, CA
Tue Jul 26, 2011
For a visual view on crime in San Francisco - check out Trulia's crime map - link below and you can also sort by different types of crime. http://www.trulia.com/crime/#!san-francisco-ca/
stephanie go…, Other Pro, San Francisco, CA
Fri Jan 3, 2014
Like a lot of areas in San Francisco, things can change block by block. If you are unsure of an area I recommend you spend some time there. Get out of your car and walk around. Visit during the day and at night. Stop and talk to residents you see on the street and ask them what they like about the area and what they don't like. Everyone's comfort level is different so the question is do YOU feel comfortable there.
Gary De Mars, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Fri Jan 3, 2014
I lived in the Castro neighborhood of San Francisco for 35 years and got fed up with the homeless people going through the garbage, the car break ins, people urinating in the alley along side of my house and the muggings. I got up one morning to clean up the garbage that I had put out the night before and when I opened my front door I found two guys shooting drugs on the front porch. I had enough!!!! The Castro is one of the highest rent neighborhoods in the City and I wanted something better. I have friends that are artists at the Hunters Point Shipyard community and they have always told me about how quiet it is... and of course I had my doubts, but when a townhome became available I thought I have nothing to lose.
I have lived in the Hunters Point neighborhood for 1 year and find that my doubts were not founded in reality. The police have a training facility at the Hunters Point shipyard so there is a police presents all the time and Lennar corporation has started construction of 1600 homes at the corner of Donahue and Innes Street. You can't walk to coffee yet but you aren't hassled by homeless people wanting spare change.
If you have concerns about crime in San Francisco neighborhoods I suggest that you access the SFPD Crime Map. The map allows you to scan the entire city. I think you will find that crime is everywhere and you need to use caution when you are out and about.
Eileen Bermi…, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Mon Aug 1, 2011
Jennifer--Hunter's Point certainly has a higher crime rate than other neighborhoods in San Francisco. You'll see that when you go through the crime map sites. If you're considering moving there, check it out at various points of day and night. The southeastern areas of the city are slowly improving, but transition time will take a while.
Web Reference:  http://www.insidesfre.com
Simone Koga, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Wed Jul 27, 2011
The safety of a certain neighborhood is gauged by different people in different ways. What may be considered safe for some can make others feel very uncomfortable. Most people do find that Hunter's Point has more crime than they are comfortable with, but it is relative to your own experiences and comfort level. The SF crime map can help you see what's been reported throughout the city, and may help you get a better picture.
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Tue Jul 26, 2011
If you are concerned about safety, your best source of accurate information are the local authorities; consider a visit/call and ask all your questions, hear all firsthand...
Uche Nchekwu…, , San Francisco, CA
Tue Jul 26, 2011
That is a common perception of the area. There is a lot of effort underway to redevelop the area. The niners stadium is one element to the redevelopment. One impact of redevelopment may be a upward pressure on prices and rents in the neighborhood. Please let me know if you would like to take a serious look at purchasing.