In My Neighborhood in 92648>Question Details

Tracy Adams, Home Buyer in 92648

What are the standards for R-1 zoning and exactly what does it mean?

Asked by Tracy Adams, 92648 Fri Mar 5, 2010

Answers

6
here is a good resource for zoning in HB

http://www.qcode.us/codes/huntingtonbeach/
The term R1 zoning typically refers to a piece of real estate that is located in a neighborhood of single-family residences. Most local laws restrict R1 zoning to one freestanding house intended as a dwelling place for one family.

With R1 zoning, the lot is defined with specific boundaries, and no mobile homes or multi-family units are allowed. Local ordinances differ, but almost invariably specify maximum height, lot size and distance of setback from the street and adjacent houses. The purpose of setbacks in residential zoning is to reduce the level of noise, protect residents from vehicle traffic and create barriers so fires do not jump from one home to another. Some R1 zoning even requires garages or carports to prevent vehicles from clogging residential streets. In other areas, street parking is restricted to one car per residence. With an R1 rating, the "R" refers to residential, while the "1" indicates the limitation of one home or structure. It normally follows that an R2 rating allows for two residential dwellings, typically in the form of a duplex, while an R3 permits multi-family units such as apartments or condominiums. Commercial use of an R1 property is generally not allowed, although home offices or professional businesses such as a law firm or a dentist office are sometimes permitted.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat May 24, 2014
what is the normal restrictions for animals in r-1 zoning
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 18, 2015
R-1 zoning usually refers to lower density residential districts with single-family detached residences
R 1 refers to the density allowed on that particular lot. R1 means that only one residential home can be built there. Standards vary with the location.
R-1typically stands for Residential 1 meaning 1 Residential unit per lot R 2 would allow 2 units, R-3 would allow for apartments. No commercial or industrial uses are allowed. If you have any other question or needs please Call me 714-315-1098
Mark~ so does this mean that a person buying a piece of land zoned R1 can't build a guest house or mother-in-law quarters on the same property a house would be built on? this is in regards to property in tustin, ca
Flag Sat Aug 11, 2012
Hi R-1 zoning is land allocated for building 1-4 unit properties on. What standards are you asking about exactly? There are several types of R- zones. It comes done to things like space, density of your buildings and other factors. Are you looking at changing your current zoning or looking build on raw land?
Hi , I checked the zoning on our property in the LA area , we have 2 single family houses in one lot and our zoning is R1-1-R10 , now my husband wants to build another detached unit for his mother , is that legal?
Flag Sun Apr 3, 2016
I just came across this...maybe you're still available to discuss. Im looking at a 2 acre lot that is zoned R1. My brother and I would like to build a house for each of us. Would we be able to, generally speaking? And when you refer to units do detached garages count as a single unit?
Flag Tue Jun 11, 2013