We are looking to move to an area off of Long Ridge Road by the Meritt. I was just wondering if it is too isolated up there? Will we make friends?

Asked by Meghan, 11777 Tue Jan 18, 2011

Answers

12
Fred Romano & Jack Hanrahan’s answer
Fred Romano &…, , Stamford, CT
Tue Mar 1, 2011
Meghan:

We live in a great neighborhood for walking and jogging, a neighborhood where you'll find people of all ages. To your question, our home is 1.5 miles from Long Ridge...and from there, it's a short drive to the Merritt. The neighborhood is also close to schools, shopping, I-95, and places of worship. We are downsizing and selling our home ourselves. We welcome buyer's agents and offer them the same commission as they would receive if we had a selling agent. Take a look at our home's website http://(www.brodwood.com) and let us know if you'd like to see it.
Web Reference:  http://www.brodwood.com
Patricia Rat…, Agent, Stamford, CT
Wed Jan 19, 2011
I grew up in North Stamford and still have plenty of friends there. You will meet people at the various parks and the Stamford Museum is a hub of cool activity. Often neighbors still welcome newcomers with a cake or gift basket. I find that people generally attract what they put out there, so if you are friendly you will find others like you. I also run a community discussion group to help people meet neighbors in the area and discuss important issues. It is called Meaningful Conversations and I have been running it for 6 years. If you'd like more information about the monthly group, email me at prattray@wpsir.com
Laura Feghali, Agent, Stamford, CT
Tue Jan 18, 2011
Hello Meghan,
I too live right smack in the middle of North Stamford between High Ridge and Long Ridge Roads and have lived there for over 14 years. As you have seen from touring the area, it is almost all residential (aside from a couple of restaurants, mini market, and places of worship) and heavily wooded. Due to the fact that there are no street lights or sidewalks you would think that it would appear to be more difficult to get acquainted with your neighbors but there are neighborhood associations and of course, the schools. If you have school aged children, it's a wonderful way to get to know the residents of the area as many parents are quite involved in the schools volunteering their time. My street has block parties twice a year so that we have the opportunity to get to know each other, introduce the new neighbors, and have fun.
The area may not be as easy to make friends because the homes are not very close together like in other neighborhoods but you won't find it as difficult as you may believe it to be.
I hope this is helpful!

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
Ellen Christ…, Agent, Darien, CT
Tue Jan 18, 2011
You will make friends because you will end up connecting with people through the things you are interested in doing - not necessarily because of your neighborhood. If you are working with a real estate agent let them know about the things you like to do - certified relocation agents, like myself, actually have this expertise since they work with people moving from out of state who need a seamless transition into the area.

Are you moving from out of the area to Stamford or have you been living in a different area of Stamford? This location, in general, provides easy access to everything - restaurants, shopping, outdoor venues and recreation.

If you need more information I would be happy to share what I have with you.
Kim Hittman, Agent, Stamford, CT
Tue Jan 18, 2011
Meghan,
I live in North Stamford, off Long Ridge Rd, right by the Merritt Parkway, exactly where you're talking about. It's a wonderful location. Any move is what you make it. This part of North Stamford is not isolated at all.
I have lived here for 16 years, and have been a realtor in Stamford for 10 Years. I'd love to help you if you like.
khittman@weichert.com
Neto Minchil…, Agent, Myrtle Beach, SC
Tue Jan 18, 2011
I moved to connecticut about one year ago. I love living here after living in NY for over 10 years. I am a real estate agent here and everyday I learn more great things about this state. When we moved, my wife had just given birth to my first daughter and she was able to make many friends in the area and we will not be going back to NY! Please let me know if there is anything I can help you with!

Best of luck !

Jose Minchillo
http://www.nyctproperties.com
Paddington Stone Realty LLC
Jose@paddingtonstone.com
Claudia Terg…, , Fairfield County, CT
Tue Jan 18, 2011
I have friends who live in the area and are very happy. Some areas can be quiet but it all depends on what you are looking for. I always recommend getting involved in the community be it through your own interests/ activities or perhaps your children's. Take the time and drive through the neighborhoods you are interested in at different times of the day and week and you will get a feel for the area. Best of luck.
Susan Smith, Agent, Stamford, CT
Tue Jan 18, 2011
You'll have the best of both worlds...North Stamford offers wonderful privacy and there is so much to do in Stamford you are sure to make lots of friends.
Cyndi Kane, Agent, Norwalk, CT
Tue Jan 18, 2011
Hi Meghan,
Long Ridge Rd area (North Stamford) can be isolated in some areas. There are a number of other market areas in Stamfod that may meet your criteria, if you are looking for more of a neighborhood feel. Some of the nicer areas are Westover, Newfield and Pepper Ridge. Please let me know if I may be of any assistance to you.
Cyndi Kane
William Raveis Real Estate
Judith "Judy"…, Agent, New Canaan, CT
Tue Jan 18, 2011
I love that area as it's near the Weichert offices. I have several friends who live in that area and they love it. You will probably meet as many friends there as wherever you live now. The Long Ridge Club is a swim and tennis club on North Long Ridge Road. It's a great place to meet people!!! It has a country feel but the neighbors can be friendly. If you have any questions about houses in the area, please feel free to contact me via email. I'll list a great source for housing availability in my web references. It's free and makes it easy to communicate directly with a realtor (me) but has no obligation for immediate buyer agency.

Judy Hendrickson
Weichert Realtors
1051 Long Ridge Rd
Stamford, CT 06840
203-858-7876
Dana Voelzke, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Bethel, CT
Tue Jan 18, 2011
People ask if we have the internet in CT all the time. LOL!! Yes you will make friends, and yes, it will take some effort. One man's isolation is another man's privacy. Which homes are too isolated and which do not offer enough privacy is something you will have to answer for yourself because it is highly personal.

One easy way to get a better feel for the town, and in fact might be a better forum for this particular question than Trulia: http://stamford.patch.com/. I'd suggest you post the question on the forum there and the response will speak for itself. Better to hear it from the neighbors/residents directly.

Fairfield County CT towns have suffered from lack of media coverage for years, but recently AOL Time Warner started the Patch (hyperlocal media coverage) which I find very impressive in having its pulse on what is going on in each of the towns. They cover every single town in Fairfield County so if you want to research other towns also, please go ahead.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Web Reference:  http://stamford.patch.com/
Nancy Collins, Agent, Shelton, CT
Tue Jan 18, 2011
Great location and close to activity. Not isolated.
Good luckl.