We are looking at this as our retirement home as we both will turn 'that age' in a couple of years. I grew up in a lower middle class neighborhood

Asked by isabelm, Imperial Beach, CA Thu Nov 10, 2011

and know how to keep myself out of trouble. Since we have close family in San Diego and would like to save about half the cost of our Woodland Hills, Ca home, do you think that my husband will think that this neighborhood is safe? We're not delicate little creature. We spent years in Venice, Ca, and being by the beach sounds like so much fun. I can't see the drawbacks of Imperial Beach. I think that the 'last beach in southern CA to be developed' is a great investment. I also have to, have to, must 'beach weather. This desert is killing me. What are the drawbacks? We have two big dogs and feel safe wherever we are. Any comments? - Thanks for your feedback since my husband and I have conflicting opinions of Imperial Beach. Isabel M.

Answers

3
Le Ann Dunne, Agent, Iowa City, IA
Tue Dec 4, 2012
My husband is an Imperial Beach native, although we live in Iowa now. We still have family in the area. It is a lovely area if you enjoy the beach. My thoughts are that it is like most California beach towns. In today's world you have to be aware of your surroundings. If we were in your position we would be heading to IB! Wishing you the best in your retirement!
Cory La Scala, Agent, San Diego, CA
Thu Nov 10, 2011
I agree, and I often see lots of people out walking their dogs when I'm showing in Imperial Beach (IB). You'll find some very affordable homes here.
Vicki Timney, Renter, Imperial Beach, CA
Thu Nov 10, 2011
Hi, I'm not a real estate expert but as an Imperial beach resident I can answer your question as to the quality of this environment. First of all, these people love their dogs and take them everywhere including the allowed areas of the beach. As far as crime, etc. we have little "wanna be" gangs mostly in the fringes of the city. Your best bet is to stay as close to Palm Ave or IB BLVD as possible anywhere East of 9TH ST. and don't go to the beach between 10PM and dawn unless it's just to the pier. I have walked everywhere in this town and never had a problem as I don't go out late at night. The beach, ocean, sunsets, and sunrises are simply breathtaking and worth every minute of living here; plus IB has a small town family feel to it down near the beach. Enjoy!
Imperial Beach is in it renaissance transition as of 2013 we now have a 5 star hotel and restaurant right on the beach I have lived and managed rentals on the bayside of 12th st. for the past 11 years with very few issues and sold properties here 4 years yes unfortunately There are very small pockets of crime almost anywhere you go on this planet so it's always wise to be aware of your surroundings anywhere you go not just Imperial Beach.
Flag Thu Feb 19, 2015