We are considering a home in the Angelino Heights area of Echo Park (on or near Carroll Ave). Can anyone tell me what it is like to live here?

Asked by Bryan.benedict, Los Angeles, CA Thu May 5, 2011

? What is the crime situation like? Is it a safe place to raise children?

Answers

6
Yardley007’s answer
Yardley007, Home Buyer, Echo Park, CA
Sat Jun 23, 2012
Ummmmm.....wow, that's quite a response Dora Flood. I live on Allison ave, and while it's possible there is a huge drug business happening on my street there is definitely another side to this coin-
I personally knock on wood haven't had any problems living here and I've lived here for 11 years. I'm thinking about moving out of my income property and I would love to stay in angeleno heights.
There are multiple new businesses opening up in echo park, and they are putting 40 million into restoring the lake. Also the dodgers were just bought and there is a lot of talk of development in the area. There is bad stuff that goes on here, I'm not going to act like there isn't but oddly, it's like there are 2 worlds here....
Buyer, if you are looking into getting a property here, check out the eastsider la blog to see what's going on in this part of town, but I will say that it's like the local news, there's tons of crazy stuff happening in this city all the time-it is after all los angeles and this isn't beverly hills.
I find that living in echo park is incredibly convenient cause it's right next to a bunch of freeways. My one complaint is that aside from vons, there isn't a grocery store in the main part of town where walgreens is and pioneer market used to be. I think in time though things here will be great.
Thanks Yardley, that's great to hear you are so happy with your neighborhood after 11 years living there! Let us know if you have any questions when you relocate to a new home in the area!
Flag Thu Jul 5, 2012
Johnny James, Agent, Palmdale, CA
Mon Jul 29, 2013
Bryan did you move to Echo park?
junocme, Home Buyer, Los Angeles, CA
Fri Oct 12, 2012
I grew up in Echo Park area and live in Echo Park now. My husband a native New Yorker loves that he can walk to pick up a cup of coffee, the people watching, close to fwy and that we can also get some quiet in the city. We own a home here and are quite happy with the neighborhood. The market seems to be on the rise and new businesses are on the horizon. Looks like we will have a fresh and easy in the area soon, which is much welcomed. There is an interesting mix in the neighborhood, that being the older chicanos and the hipsters. Most of the homes are kept up and seems like the owners do take pride in their homes. There are a few dumps that the over the hill gangbangers seem to flock to. They do seem to keep to themselves with the exception of the Friday night aftermath when they decide to tag up their neighborhood. There are a ton of homes being flipped so hopefully with time the 'cholos' will bounce to Lancaster or Palmdale. One can only hope!
Alison Hillm…, , San Francisco, CA
Thu Jul 5, 2012
Hi Bryan,

According to Trulia's Crime Maps, the Angelino Heights area is relatively safe. Most of the crimes in the area are theft and buglary- related. In fact there are zero reported arrests, assaults, shootings or reports of arson.

http://www.trulia.com/crime/Los_Angeles,CA,90026/

Take a look at the schools in the area. Families like yours have reviewed their experiences at several local schools.

http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/90026-Los_Angeles/schools/

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have additional questions!

Ali, Community Manager
Carla Muss-J…, , Portland, OR
Sun Jun 24, 2012
I'm glad to read Yardley007 counter-point to Dora the non-explora . . . she lives outside of the area, and self-professed it was a while ago. Move to Oregon! HA HA HA I did in 1990 out of LA. Best move ever!!
Dora Flood, , Fallon, NV
Tue Jun 28, 2011
RUN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION! Drugs and gangs are rampant, having increased their presence in Angellino Heights, especially. The "creative (or is it merely a certain sort of peter pan complex?) hipsters" who the neighborhood, lumped in with Echo Park on the other side of Sunset are being driven out due to violent crime that the muscician/ artists/ boutique designers never thought could happen to them, The bars that the artists and musicians once haunted, from the early days of The Short Stop, The Little Joy, and now The Gold Room are now taken over by gangbangers, and the only hipsters who still go there go to score for the habit they picked up living in this gentrification gone awry. And yes, I was there back in the days where only after-duty cops frequented The Short Stop, and The Little Joy was a gay mexican pickup joint. Your better off in Bedstuy, NYC, honestly. And word to the wise, one of the cities largest heroin/meth/etc drug dealer's has a permanent business running out of Angelino Heights, on Alison Avenue near Douglas, a street that could look innocuously charming if one keeps on their blinders. Try Venice instead, art, still gritty, yet with the ocean less the blatant evil of Angelino Heights/ Echo Park.
Ahh, this is so wrong, I've owned/managed a small apartment building in Angelino height for over 20 years. The whole gangbanger thing, that's what it was like when I bought the building in 1991; having to paint out graffiti every week, now its once year, maybe.
Flag Wed May 14, 2014