We are a family currently living in the UK. We are 44 and 50 with a 17 and 13 yo boys. We are an active family and are looking to move to

Asked by Rachel, Falmouth, ME Sun Dec 30, 2012

Falmouth area as we believe it will offer us all the outdoor activity we enjoy ie ATV and mountain biking and horseback riding!!! However with two teenage boys we also want to be close to a town and amenities. I have horses here in the uk and we are looking for a house with 5-10 acres. Obviously we have to go through the whole job and green card issue yet, but I am hoping I can secure a job in accountancy in Portland, and my husband is a firefighter. Any advice from Maine residents or ideally UK expats settled in maine would be wonderful !

Answers

10
Lois Lengyel, Agent, Portland, ME
Tue Apr 30, 2013
There are several properties in West Falmouth that might be perfect for your needs for larger land and barns. Closer to the town center of course, the lots are smaller. The climate in our area may be more similar to yours than you imagine. Please keep in touch and happy to assist with your search. Cheers! LOIS
Kelly Stucker, Home Buyer, Baltimore, MD
Tue Jan 15, 2013
Hi Rachel,
I am a mother of four children ages 7-14. We moved to Falmouth Foreside this past summer. I cannot say enough about living here. The schools are excellent and new! Foreside is on the water, but in middle Falmouth and west Falmouth you can more readily find acreage. Everyone is so active here with winter sports, which we love as a family.

Kelly Stucker
Dena Schlutz, Agent, Boulder, CO
Thu Jan 3, 2013
You need to come to Boulder County, Colorado! We fit your list of what you like to do perfectly! Great employment opportunities and easy commute to Denver. We actually have very mild weather here, not like the mountains! Blue skys and sunshine! If you want a stunning place to live with tons of culture, things to do and a healthy lifestyle, check us out! We have great schools and lots to do!

#1 Strongest United States Housing Market (Bloomberg Business Week, Aug 2009 ).
#1 Least Amount of Subprime Mortgages (Forbes, March 2009).
#1 Most Educated City in America (Forbes, June 2012). 57% with bachelor’s degrees, 25% with graduate and post graduate degrees; and 94% of the population are high school graduates.
#1 Healthiest Metropolitan Area (Gallup, March 2011). America’s Best Healthy Places to Retire (U.S. News World Report, Oct. 2008).
The Silicone Valley of organic foods (The Daily Camera, Oct. 2012)
#1 Best Town for Startups (Bloomberg Business Week, Aug. 2010). “Nationwide model [city] for startup hotbeds” (Money.cnn.com, Nov. 2012)
#1 Best Cities to Raise an Outdoor Kid (Backpacker, Aug. 2009).
#3 Best Bicycling Cities (bicycling.com).
#8 Top Arts Destinations for Small Cities (American Style, June 2009).
#9 Median Family Income (National Association of Home Builder Opportunity Index, Q3 2012).
Top 30 Coolest Neighborhoods in America (Men’s Journal, June 2009).
#27 Best Places for Business and Careers (Forbes, June 2012).
Home of the University of Colorado -- a research university with 5 Nobel Laureates
Denver International Airport is 45 minutes away!

Give me a call!

Dena Schlutz
Estate Professionals
Broker / Owner
303-588-7532
Web Reference:  http://www.estate-pros.com
smarble, , North Yarmouth, ME
Thu Jan 3, 2013
Rachel -

We are considering marketing our home this spring with a two horse barn and 13.7 acres about 1.5. miles from "downtown" Yarmouth. I ride my mares and the neighbors ride their ATVs. The school system is Greely, which has an IB program.. The house is large and new with radiant floor heat on all three levels. There are several good accounting firms in Portland, which is about 20 minutes from the house. Grocery stores, libraries, Twin Brooks recreation area as well as ice skating rinks are nearby. The neighbors are wonderful and the road is quiet and pet friendly.

Good luck with your move,
Elizabeth Kn…, , Falmouth, ME
Thu Jan 3, 2013
Not a UK expat...but hail from England....I have a property in Falmouth that i would be happy to show you and it has been wonderful for my 11-16 and 9-14 year old boys. Let me know if you have received answers to your expat questions and are feeling like you will be making a move...
Murphy Team, Agent, Portland, ME
Sun Dec 30, 2012
Rachel,

We have dealt with many European transfers and are familiar with the process you are attempting to follow with respect to employment here in the U.S. Not sure if Firefighting qualifies for the H-1B Worker Program, it may.

Sometimes companies have a direct link for access to temporary or permanent work permits depending on your job description.

Meanwhile, you do not have to stray far from Portland to find properties offering 5 - 10 acres and close access to trails. Finding land suitable for horses is more of a challenge, but attainable.

You may email us, The Murphy Team, at murphyteam@harborviewproperties.com and we wish you success in your quest.

Richard and Jean Murphy
Web Reference:  http://www.MEhomes.com
Charlene Ham…, Agent, Camden, ME
Sun Dec 30, 2012
Hi Rachel,
our Sotheby's office admin is an expat - she would be happy to talk to you. I also have a great listing in North Yarmouth which sounds like a perfect fit if you want ATV trails and horses!

send me an email and I can put you in touch with Caroliine and also send you a link to the listing!

Charlene
charlene@legacysir.com
Doug Schauf, Agent, Cape Elizabeth, ME
Sun Dec 30, 2012
Hi Rachel,

It is great to hear you are moving to Maine and Falmouth is a wonderful town. Close to Portland and has a lot to offer in the way of trails, parks, boat launches , etc. etc. etc.

Below are some links that may help you find community information.

Here is a link for community information
http://doug.remax-maine.com/schools.asp

Here is a link for trails and parks in the Falmouth area
http://www.town.falmouth.me.us/pages/falmouthme_parks/LandMgmt

Doug
Christa Boya…, Agent, Ellsworth, ME
Sun Dec 30, 2012
I think you might be better off going further East given you want to want ATV and riding activities. It is less populated in Hancock County. Ellsworth is the county seat with job opportunities and close and easy access to saltwater, lakes, ATV trails etc. You'll also find prices more reasonable than in Southern Maine which is more populated. By the way, I recently sold a waterfront to a British couple with college age children (they already had immigrated to the US). They are using this a their second home with an eye to retirement here later on. Good luck to you
Jennifer DeS…, Agent, Cape Elizabeth, ME
Sun Dec 30, 2012
Hi Rachel,

Thanks for you query into homes in Maine, and in particular, Falmouth.

There are a number of homes currently for sale with a minimum of 5 acres, and priced below $1,000,000 in Falmouth. Unfotunately, this forum does not allow me to send a link to the listing information for these homes.

I also know a few Brits who live in the Greater Portland area, and I am sure they would be happy to talk with you.

If you would like the listing information sent to you, have any additional questions, or would like more information, feel free to email me at Jennifer.DeSena@NEMoves.com.

Thanks again, and good luck!

Jennifer