Kathleen Wil…, Home Buyer in Indianapolis, IN

This looks like your typical urban food desert. Where are the grocery stores? Farmers markets? Decent restaurants? What about public transportation?

Asked by Kathleen Wills, Indianapolis, IN Tue Jun 14, 2011

Answers

3
Pamela.betsi…, Home Buyer, Columbus, OH
Mon Jan 14, 2013
I have lived in the KLD since Dec 2011 and am really inspired by what is going on in the area. One of the BEST creole restaurants I have ever experienced is in the Mt Vernon Shopping Center. The name is Creole Kitchen and is owned and operated by a renowned Creole Chef. He and his restaurant have been written about in several publications. It's more of a carry-out, although there are a couple of 2-top tables used mainly to wait on your order. All the hot dishes (the menu is huge) are made to order depending on the degree of 'hot' you like, and there is also a wonderful breakfast menu. If you need fast food, our Wendy's is fast, clean and friendly. Yellow Brick Pizza is amazing, both in their menu offerings and in their beer and wine lists. The Tavern and The Angry Baker right across the street from Yellow Brick are also destination locations, again with wonderful food and beverage offerings. All 3 are at the intersection of Oak St and 18th, more in Olde Towne East but only 1 block south of Broad. There is a new meat shop on Oak just to the east a few blocks from this active intersection. There are several restaurants on Parsons, and a really good Chinese carry-out at the corner of Parsons and Broad, Dragon One I believe. The Old Bucket of Nails pub is where Long St deadends into Nelson, beautiful outdoor dining in good weather, typical pub fare and good beer selection. The Turkey Hill gas station at that same intersection is, in my opinion, the best Turkey Hill in Columbus...always clean, good offerings for a convenience store, super friendly and polite staff, and some of the best coffee around. In Bexley, there are so many choices...the Pita House on Broad, delcious mediterranean fare at super low prices, MANY choices on E Main just east of Nelson...The Rusty Bucket, Barrel 49, etc, etc. Going toward downtown, Hill's will be opening a store soon on Grant between Long and Broad. There is also a specialty food store on Cassady in Bexley, and the North Market is only a short distance away downtown. I consider myself a "foodie" and a "beer snob", and I shop organic. I don't feel cheated in the least living in the KLD, and have made a personal commitment to supporting my area by spending my entertainment and food dollars locally. Hopefully you have found some of these gems on your own... if not, get out and explore, and/or use Google or Bing.
Jonathan Cla…, Home Buyer, Columbus, OH
Thu Jun 21, 2012
It's pretty bad, yeah. Love that there is supposedly a farmer's market, but it only operates during my work hours, so I've never seen it. For our whole foods, veggie diet, we have to make due with Kroger's. I'm grateful there IS a Kroger's or we'd have nothing (the Sav-a-lot is pointless for anyone who gives a sh*t about real food). The Angry Baker looks lovely, but as a pedestrian/COTA rider I don't get out that way much. Don't get me started on the restaurants around here. Even if I had the money to, I would never eat at any of these places since I value good taste and nutrition and i am a vegetarian. If you are on foot as my family and I are mostly, there couldn't be more truth to the assessment of the original poster.
Now, if you like greasy, tasteless crap, then you are pretty much covered by JPs and various other local crappy eats, fish markets and Save-Alot and any corner store for your breakfast Little Debbies, Potato Chips and Soda.
Al Waddell, Agent, Columbus, OH
Tue Jun 14, 2011
Not at all sure what "Urban Food Desert" means! The KLD is where I personally live and we have seen tremendous progress here within the last few years. IF your question is sincere and if you live in the KLD (as I think the post implies) I'm surprised that you aren't aware that we added a Save-a-Lot grocery on Main a couple of years ago; We have a Framer's MArket on E. Main every Saturday (or you can always go 1.8 miles to the North Market) we've got Yellow Brick Pizza; the Angry Baker; and Black Creek Bistro - a Columbus Dispatch Top 10 Restuarant!
Web Reference:  http://youtu.be/mslxHoZx1b8