In My Neighborhood in 20744>Question Details

Lenard Jones, Real Estate Pro in Fort Washington, MD

There are numerous properties in my area that are now vacant.

Asked by Lenard Jones, Fort Washington, MD Fri May 29, 2009

The grass needs to be serviced, code enforcement has placed written warinings. The surrounding homes are immaculant and landscaped very well. As a neighbor, i would like to volenteer and cut the grass myself, in order to keep the neighborhood looking decent. My question is would this be considered tresspassing.? The B part of the question is there a market for this service today.

You'd be a good neighbor, Lenard, but you're correct to be a bit worried about trespassing issues - legally, I can't give you advice on that.

If someone happened to pay a neighborhood kid to mow a few lawns really quickly, and this kid accidentally mowed the wrong address's lawn.......who would complain?
Web Reference:
Hi Leonard, this is a obvious problem for so many great homeowners these days like yourself. The bank who owns the home is responsible for its upkeep. They will usually get someone out to cut the grass and handle other maitenance ssues only IF and WHEN someone complains.

I you can find out what bank owns the property and give them a call, this usually will do the trick. If they don't comply, get your city councel member involved. This will CERTAINLY get their feet moving.

Good luck to you and let me know if you ever need a fantastic hard working top producing agent in the future.
I specialize in selling homes in the Fort Washington area! 202-528-1642
Web Reference:
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 29, 2009

I understand your frustration.

I have no idea of the laws & regulations in Fort Washinton, MD. However, my best guess is to contact your city hall, ask for the dept that covers housing code violations (cities have different names for the dept) & ask that dept what you can do. If you're granted permission to mow, make sure you obtain permission in writing for each specific property. I think you would still be tresspassing, & would be responsible for any damage to the property (i.e. rock damages a window), etc., etc.

A TV news story, from last week in the Northeast OH, may help you decide NOT to mow a property you don't own. An area of a city where the city cannot afford to mow the local park where kids play - the grass was a foot high. A kind man started to move the grass with a riding mower. Not long after he started, a police cruiser drove up, officers approached the man & listened to his story, the officers told him his was using the park for an illegal purpose, put him in handcuffs & forced him into the back of the police cruiser. The kind man was later released from custody with no charges. In a TV interview after he was released, the kind man said he definitely would not volunteer his services again....