So when it is under water (and we mean real water since it is in a city SWZ ) what are we supposed to do? Build a boat?

Asked by theroguescholar, Charlotte, NC Mon Feb 27, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Daniel Fisher, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Tue Feb 28, 2012
Good morning Thero:
The City of Charlotte SWIM buffers are for Storm Water Improvement and Management in Storm Water Zones (SWZ). These are different than Federal Emergency Management Agency 100 and 500 year flood-lines. SWIM or SWZ designations have regulations intended to improve water quality of runoff and storm water by restricting development and managing vegetation. If your area were being developed today, your home would not likely be able to be built in a SWZ. For details on how the restrictions impact you, you should meet with planning and zoning officials. If your property is in a FEMA flood zone, you can purchase flood insurance, but you should hire County Surveying to do survey for the specific purpose of establishing if your finished floor elevation is above the FEMA flood line. If the finished floor of your home is above the floodline, you may not need flood insurance. If you appreciate an answer, please give "thumbs up". For the most helpful answer, please say thanks with a "best answer" click.
1 vote
Nathan Wolf, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Tue Feb 28, 2012
Flood Insurance is ALWAYS a good idea.


There were plenty of homes in Plaza Midwood, Elizabeth, Myers Park and others that were not considered "Flood Zones." But if you're near a creek, and there is a rain storm, the creek may flood. We've all seen it.

And so, just because some surveyor or official says your home may technically be high enough not to have to qualify for flood insurance, it may still be a good idea to have it. Because I know I have thousands of dollars invested in my property and landscaping-- not just the structure of my house. And I would not have the money to fix it back if my property flooded.

The SWZ doesnt mean it WILL flood, it means it has the POTENTIAL to flood. Insurance is also peace of mind. And if you own a kayak, keep it handy.

If this answered your question, please give me a "THUMBS UP" or "BEST ANSWER"-- thanks!
Web Reference:
0 votes
Allyson Ward, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Tue Feb 28, 2012
I agree with Daniel below. Plus, if you purchase something that is in a flood zone (or not) you will know the level of danger (if any) you are in by examining the FEMA maps. The likelihood of you ever dealing with this situation is very slim, in my opinion. I've been in Charlotte my whole life and have never seen such a situation you mentioned but that's not to say it won't happen to me tomorrow or you for that matter.
Good luck!
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more