So...after looking for a house on the Westside for the past few months, we are fed up!...

Asked by Rafael, Santa Monica, CA Mon Jul 26, 2010

Our price range is 800-850K and there is only crap on the Westside for that price range. I guess we won't be able to make it to North Montana... but that's fine, not my type of crowd.
We want a 3bd with a yard, about 2000 sq, something that looks nice and near a good elementary school (such as Carpenter or Dixie).
We have visited a few places in Sherman Oaks/Studio City and we like it. We'll have to adapt to the weather and other things, but we like it. I already moved from Switzerland many years ago and I like it here..
We are a family with a 7 months old baby. My wife is a pediatrician who work at Children Hospital in Los Feliz. I am an art director/illustrator working from my own home studio.
So...to get to the main question, we like a few areas in Sherman Oaks, but not sure if the crowd will be our taste. We like the south of Ventura, the streets near Valley Vista near Hazeltime; we also like the

Answers

6
Aaron Cohen, Agent, Sherman Oaks, CA
Mon Jul 26, 2010
Rafael,
You are not the first to find that your money goes quite a bit farther in the Valley than it would on the Westside. My family has been here since the early 1940's and just as South of the Blvd. is a more attractive area to live, so goes the Westside. All the schools below that have been mentioned are quality elementary schools in the LAUSD system. You should know that Carpenter has just been awarded with a magnet designation from the LAUSD. This should make it the most sought after public school in the LAUSD system. Also, if you are looking South of the Blvd. make sure you look up Woodcliff, from about Meadville to Mulholland. This will put you in the Roscomare school district in Bel Air.

As for looking for a home, just make sure that you work with an agent that is well qualified and knows the area. His or her expertise and relationships with other working agents can go a long way to getting you the best possible house at the best possible price.

Good luck in you search.

Aaron
Web Reference:  http://www.aaronjcohen.com
Cindy Estates, Agent, Porter Ranch Northridge, CA
Mon Jul 26, 2010
Dear Parents,

Have you looked at a home on LAUREL TERRACE Dr in Studio City? It is a 4 Bedroom and 3.5 Bath Contemporary style home, its over 2,500 sqft and newly build. It has open floor plan, hardwood floors, Tall ceilings, custom cabinets and large balconys. It is below your price range of $800,000. Oh, and it is in the Carpenter School District. There may be one hold back of what you are looking for in this house. If you want to know just email me or reply to this blog.

Good luck in your search and I am more than happy to help you, if you need a neighborhood agent.

Cindy Wu - Freedman, CIPS, TRC, SFR, ePro, WCR, MDE
Keller Williams Realty, Encino - Sherman Oaks
CindyEstates@gmail.com
818-570-0588
Cynthia Spar…, Agent, Sherman Oaks, CA
Mon Jul 26, 2010
Hi Rafael:
It can be frustrating when you don't seem to find what you want at first glance. However, I have successfully worked and lived in Sherman Oaks as a Realtor and am very involved with the community. I sit on the Board of Directors with the Sherman Oaks Chamber of Commerce and there are lovely pockets in Sherman Oaks that feed into the Dixie Canyon Canyon School as well as the Sherman Oaks Elementary and a few other good ones. The Carpenter School District is in Studio City and you may find the prices creep up a bit more over there. I just had a listing in Studio City that fed into the Colfax Elementary which is also a good elementary school in the Studio City/Valley Village cities. It seems as though you are getting close. Keep the faith and don't worry about "the crowd". There are lots of wonderful, educated and hip professionals throughout the Sherman Oaks and Studio City areas.
Although I do not know you, I am confident you and your family will love it over here. Feel free to call me for further information and Welcome!
Cynthia Sparagna
E & A/SOTHEBY'S International Realty
818.207.9399
Tommy Lee, , 91502
Mon Jul 26, 2010
Rafael,
South of the Boulevard is usually the more sought after location. There are a few questions I have though. Do you want a view? I am also not sure what you mean by the crowd being to your taste. If you are concerned about schools, Sherman Oaks has some good ones. But you might also consider Burbank, La Crescenta and La Canada. The La Canada Schools are some of the best in LA. Your wife's commute to the Childrens hospital in Los Feliz would be easy down the 2 freeway. Prices of homes in La Canada are in your range. We just sold a 2000 square foot short sale for 877.

La Crescenta schools are slightly less prominent than La Canada. But you get much more house for your money. An alternative is Montrose or the Sparr Heights areas. Montrose has one of the best concentrations of really good restaurants that I have found. (We live here).

Burbank also has it's plus side if you want a view. Up the hill above Bel Aire are some homes on large lots that are near really good schools. There is also a lot of shopping in the area.

So the bottom line is what you mean by the crowd being to your taste.

If you need help, please give me a call.

Tommy Lee
323-821-2292
tommy.lee@dilbeck.com
Vince Madrid, Agent, SAN ANTONIO, TX
Mon Jul 26, 2010
Hello, although I am not a realtor in your neck of the woods...I have found in my years in real estate that certain social circles should not dictate your buying decision, this may have you missing out on a great deal. Like my grandpa used to say, "hedges make for good neighbors". Best of luck!
Gregory Masi, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Mon Jul 26, 2010
Hi Rafael,

I just closed an escrow with buyers who ventured to Sherman Oaks because they got so much more for their money. They looked at a few homes on the Westside, but quickly decided that their tastes and needs were not being met by the homes available in their price range. Ultimately, they ended up in the Fashion Square section of Sherman Oaks (another great spot) and have been very happy with their decision.

I'm sure these buyers would be happy to share their experiences of how they are enjoying their decision to move to Sherman Oaks. Aside from that, I'd encourage you to talk to some of the neighbors in areas that interest you. It's a great way to get a feel for the area and learn the pros and cons. If you are too shy to approach a neighbor, call me and I'll do it for you. I have no problem gathering feedback if it would be helpful to you. I've done it before and I'm happy to do it again.

Gregory Masi
Gibson International
C: 310-488-4880
E: Gregory@GregoryMasi.com