I am not sure which line you should avoid and I am not a woman either but whenever riding the NYC subway system late at night you should keep in mind the following safety tips:
1) Do not flash cash or anything valuable. If you are wearing jewelry, take it off and put it out of sight.
2) Be alert at all times and make sure you are situated such that nobody can sneak up behind you.
3) Stay with the crowd or other people if there are any on the platform (unless they look like criminals).
4) Stay in the front of the first car where the conductor is, right adjacent to his door if possible.
5) Hold onto your purse tightly and make sure it is closed.
6) If you see any transit police, stay near them, you can even ask if they would ride with you for a couple of stops if for any reason you feel uncomfortable.
7) My wife used to even carry a can of mace with her finger on the trigger just is case, luckily she never had to use it!
8) Try not to run to make a train, you can slip and hurt yourself. This happens quite often when people are trying to catch a train.
Relatively speaking the subways are safe, even late at night. But here in the big city you always have to exorcise caution. Better safe than sorry. Good luck!
Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales
Madison Estates & Properties, Inc.
Office: (718) 645-1665/ Cell: (917) 805-0783