Traviscruz, Home Buyer in 54956

Neenah home without a basement.

Asked by Traviscruz, 54956 Wed May 30, 2012

We have been very interested in a house but it has been on the market for at least 2 to 3 years, we think because it does not have a basement. The house is large, over 3100 sq ft, many unique features, an extra heated two car garage plus small shed, double lot. Our fear is the lack of a basement will be a real problem should we decide to sell the house in the future as well. Also, what are the mechanical differences or difficulties in a home on a slab? No one can seem to realy give an answer. The house otherwise seems to be worth the asking price.

Answers

5
Barbara Laib, Agent, Appleton, WI
Tue Aug 28, 2012
Hi Traviscruz, I am the listing agent for 103 Plummer Ct, Neenah. The home was originally listed with another company. The price was set too high at that time. Unfortunately, that hurt the sale of the home. It caused the home to be on the market, and create prospective buyers asking, "what is wrong with the home?".

Once I listed the home we began to push the home down in price. I think it is at a fair price now.

In Wisconsin, many buyers want a basement. I, personally, have owned a home in Wisconsin for over 35 years without a basement. It has never been a problem not having a basement. In other parts of the country, homes are built without basements. Usually a home without a basement has larger square footage. The areas you use for storage, are actually more usable than basement storage.

There are no mechanical difficulties in a home on a slab. The pipes and vents are in the walls and ceilings of the home, not under the floor.

I would love the opportunity to show you the home. My phone number is 920-585-5400. Please call me. You will love this home.

Barbara Laib, Realtor
Century 21 First Realty
920-585-5400
Thomas Harr…, Agent, Appleton, WI
Wed Jun 5, 2013
Hi Travis,
Please save yourself some time and energy, contact a Realtor to get the answers to your questions about most homes that are listed in your community. Most good Realtors have the ability to find out information about a home, even if it is not listed on the local MLS
David Klundt, Home Buyer, Neenah, WI
Tue Feb 12, 2013
Significantly lowers the resale value. Often done in this area if you are close to the lake, but basements are typically an expensive part of a house and are thus reflected in the asking price. Fixing ductwork and plumbing issues can be more expensive if you can't access from the basement. The reason houses in the south may not have a basement is that they don't freeze in the winter so the pipes and ductwork are exposed for easy repair.
David
christinemau…, , Deerfield, IL
Wed Dec 5, 2012
I own a home without a basement. In fact we built it that way because we wanted a concrete floor with in-floor heating and had no interest in a damp wet basement as we built near Lake Winnebago. Been here 8 years and we have no issues. All our camping, holiday decorations etc that are normally in a basement are kept in our garage loft space.
Linda S. Cef…, Agent, Franklin, WI
Wed May 30, 2012
Yes, it can be a drawback in the State of Wisconsin. However, I have lived in a no-basement home since 1985 and I do not miss the basement at all. You have plenty of square footage and storage, so I'm assuming that for you, it won't be a problem.

My home is not on a slab either. I think the important things to look at are the age of the home. What does the floor currently look like? Are they uneven? Are they heated?

Mechanical differences vary from home to home without basements in this area. Some have the plumbing running through the walls and some are below the home and some actually run through the floor. It might be important for you to try to obtain the original plans or perhaps a neighbor to gain further details on this particular home. Make sure you get a qualified home inspector and don't over pay. You said, "it seems to be worth the asking price." If you have a Buyer's Agent ask them to do a market analysis for you to make sure you are not overpaying.