My husband and I live in West Tennessee but were born and raised in Chicago. We aren't interested in moving back to Chicago but we both very much

Asked by Priscilla Morse, Jackson, TN Sat Sep 12, 2009

miss city life! We have children now so we are more interested in a suburban type setting. We settled on New Jersey as a whole because it would be close to New York (for me) and close to Atlantic City/gambling/poker (for him)...we are very interested in Hoboken but have had a lot of friends suggest that we look into other places such as Morristown and Montclair. I was hoping someone could give me some insight into what an ideal location would be for us. Thanks!

Answers

6
Sean Shallis, Agent, Westfield, NJ
Thu Sep 17, 2009
Hi Priscilla,

Born and raised in the Suburbs of NJ and ultimately settling into Hudson County for the past 20 plus years affords me the ability to give you both perspectives...

For me to best answer your question I'd need to understand more about your situation..

1. how old are the children?
2. if school age..does public, private and or charter schools matter
3. Are both of you working, and where ?
4. if you are a stay at home mom... what type of activites do you enjoy while the kids are at school?

For example, my family and I settled into the Port Liberte,in Jersey City NJ,(see link below ) for numerous reasons.. In a nutshell... 'Its the closest thing to the suburbs within the city limits" ?

Why do i say that...?

Luxury gated community (PUD Planned Unit Development) ...Properties ranging from 275K one bedroom condos in a mid rise building to 3.8 Million dollar townhouse w dead on NYC views.. "We are so close to the Statue of liberty on a winds days we can see up her skirt"

Two swimming pools, great playground, tennis courts, basketball, full service gym ...the list goes on !

Sean what about commuting to NYC, Airport and or AC ....

To NYC ..
Water Taxi/ ferry in the community takes 18 minutes to NYC
Private shuttle to the Path train
City Bus to The Path Train
Swimming is always an option too..(No one told me about the 8 knot current before signing up for the Liberty Tri)

Airport: 20 minutes to Newark Airport

AC: One of our neighbors takes his boat from the dock behind his house and motors down to Trump Marina for a weekend get away...BTW Trump Marina provides Boat/Room Service

Car Service.. 1.30 minutes
Helicopter from EWR or NYC.. 30 Minutes .. especially nice if the hotel comps this ride

in closing, my wife and two daugthers (3.5 yrs and 9 mths) and toby (the family dog) love the community. We have made incrediable life long friends with our neighbors and other community residents.

As I said " its as close to living in the Suburbs without leaving the city"

Please don't hesitate to call or email me to get the whole scoop!

Best of luck on your search...It would be my honor to help!

Sean T. Shallis
Broker/Sales Associate
Senior Real Estate Strategist

Weichert Realtors and The Shallis Group
1 Newark St, Hoboken, N.J. 07030
Office: 201-656-8488

Direct: 201-427-1032
Fax: 201-427-1022
sean@theshallisgroup.com
http://www.theshallisgroup.com
http://www.stshomes.com

“FREE…Market Snapshot for Buyers and Sellers…INSTANTLY!
“CLICK HERE NOW”

Our combined mission as a team is to provide our customers with a passionately motivated and committed team of highly skilled real estate professionals. We’ll work with you to understand and accomplish our customers short and long term goals both “in and out” of the real estate transaction.
Marilyn Hold…, Agent, Westfield, NJ
Sun Sep 13, 2009
Priscilla,

Like you, I was born and raised in Chicago. I came to NJ after college and never left!
NJ has a lot to offer -- easy access to NYC as well as access to the Jersey Shore. In addition,
NJ boasts some of the top public schools in the country.

As you make your list of towns to consider, I'll suggest you look at Union County. We're
centrally located, with easy access to the Garden State Parkway (a major north/south commuting road),
as well as bus and train service to Newark/NYC. There are many great communities in Union
County, so depending upon your budget, priorities, needs, you may wish to consider
Westfield, Cranford, Scotch Plains/Fanwood, or Roselle Park. Many of the Union County
towns have vibrant downtown areas with shopping, restaurants, parks. I'd love to show you former Chicagoans around the area and help you search for a home. Please contact me and we can get you started with some local information to help you focus your search.

Marilyn Holda-Fleck
Prudential NJ Properties
mholdafleck@comcast.net
Marsha Bowen…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Sat Sep 12, 2009
Hi Priscilla,

Congratulations on making NJ your new home. Like you and your husband, I was born and raised in Chicago and relocated to the East coast. I lived in New York city and really enjoyed the city life, but once I purchased a car and traveled to NJ, I fell in love with the suburban setting. Since moving to NJ, I've actually lived in Essex county (West Orange) which neighbors Montclair and I now reside in Morris county. If you're looking to live in a town with a happy medium of city/suburban lifestyle; close commute to New York, and good school systems for your children, a move to Montclair could meet your criteria. Morristown would be a good second choice.
You can learn more about what Montclair has to offer by clicking the link below:
http://www.gotomontclairnj.com/

I live two towns away for Morristown. Morristown currently has a "Live Where You Work" down payment assistance program for homebuyers that purchase a home and work in Morristown. Here is a link to learn more about this program and other specifics about Morristown:
http://www.townofmorristown.org/

I wish the best of luck to you and your family. If I can be of any assistance, please feel free to contact me via e-mail anytime.

Marsha Bowen Washington
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
2 Mt. Pleasant Avenue
Livingston, NJ 07039
973-994-4323 - office
Marsha.bowenwashington@cbmoves.com
Tara Sheng, , 07046
Sat Sep 12, 2009
Hi Priscilla,

I can totally appreciate where you're coming from...I used to live in Manhattan and when I moved away I missed that lifestyle so much!! What I love about New Jersey is that we can live in the country, near a lake, etc. & travel just a short distance and be in the city! I would recommend Morris County. Bergen & Essex Counties are good choices for you as well. Morristown (Morris County) & Montclair (Essex County) are towns with an exciting night life and downtown areas. Edgewater (Bergen County) is as well, and it is right on the Hudson River so (besides the gorgeous views!) you can commute to Manhattan frequently & easily! I have lived in Montclair & Edgewater in the past and currently live just a couple of towns away from Morristown. Since I have first-hand knowledge of these towns, I would be happy to help you search for your new home! Feel free to contact me either by cell/text: 862-242-0688, e-mail: Tsheng@weichert.com and in the meantime you can research all different counties/towns, school reports, public transportation, and search homes by radius, maps, etc. through my website http://www.TaraDreamHomes.com

Best of luck,
Tara

Tara Hofmeister-Sheng
Weichert, Realtors
Rt. 46 @ Cherry Hill Rd.
Mountain Lakes, NJ 07046
Office: 973-334-9400
Mobile/Text: 862-242-0688
E-mail: Tsheng@weichert.com
http://www.TaraDreamHomes.com
Carol Eisens…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Sat Sep 12, 2009
Hi Priscilla,

Morristown and Montclair are both great towns. Both have city downtown feel to them with lots of shopping, great restaurants, movies, theater, etc. Easy commute to NYC by train or you certainly can drive in . Atlantic City is a bit of a drive but plenty of people do it for the day or weekend. I'm a NYC girl, now living in NJ and these towns are quite cosmopolitan for those of us that love the City life. Having children you have other needs as well. If you would like, please email me directly and I can send you info on schools and available homes in you price range that meet your meets.

Carol
Camille Mill…, , Flemington, NJ
Sat Sep 12, 2009
Priscilla: NJ has so much to offer you. However there is quite a bit of distance between NYC and Atlantic City. You can learn about the specifics of each county by going to http://www.justjerseyrealestate.com plus read the school reports and learn more about each of our 21 counties. When you narrow it down (it seems like you are considering northern NJ) I'd be happy to dicuss the different area with you and find I local agent to help you wherever you choose. Good luck to you and don't hesitate to contact with anytime with your specifc NJ real estate questions. I'm happy to help.

Camille Miller
Broker/Owner
Just Jersey Properties