Kellyclozano, Home Buyer in Benicia, CA

Just put an offer on a home in West Manor. Can anyone tell me what the neighborhood is like? Safe, quiet, etc?

Asked by Kellyclozano, Benicia, CA Sun May 22, 2011

Answers

7
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Sun May 22, 2011
Since real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in specific neighborhoods, consider revisiting the area more than once, and at different times of day; for any safety related concerns, do contact/visit the local authorities and ask all your questions, hear all there is to hear firsthand--keep in mind opinions are often subjective, what may be good for one is not necessarily the case for another.
Jjmph91, Home Owner, Benicia, CA
Sun May 27, 2012
The Homes in West Manor. Up until a couple of years ago, I owned a home there for 16 years. Very nice neighbor hood, Only accessed one way. One loop street and one side street. So only those who live in the neighborhood come in there. All of these homes were the first of any kind of track homes. They put them up with 4 basic floor plans in the 1942-44 I think. WWII broke out and this area was the edge of town. The Arsenal had closed in 1927 after the WWI need. When WWII broke out, Arsenal was reopened and this little community got huge numbers of military without enough housing. People were housing people everywhere in their back yards, garage apts everything in response. These homes are on a slightly hilly area, and most all were about 800 sq feet originally. The materials used were originally all red wood and cedar. Red wood 2x4s and ceder shake roofs. all had 2 bedroom 1 bath. Some had small garages others had carports. Because the need was so fast the homes were not consistent in that some have the thin 1.5 inch hard wood floors, others had the 2 inch, some had 3 and 4 inch plank type too. Windows were the same issue. All have concrete slip sidings on floating foundations. If you are in there, they did not originally have drainage systems in the yard so some houses have foundation problems that are easily fixed by putting french drainage systems in the yards. People have modified them as i did mine. Some are on a slop so steep that they had basements most do not. if they do have a basement, there is a garage under there too. Lower lying houses need to have water barriers put in too. Water without the drainage system can pool water under them, but again drainage system fixes it easily. Suggest all should have vapor barriers in. All had floor furnises in the originally. some upgraded to wall furnises. Then in my home as with others we upgraded to central air and heat. None had insulation to start. People have added it as they have remodeled. there are manor rules that no one really enforces unless one neighbor gets mad at another and picks a fight. But most all are very friendly. When I first moved in with my son 50% were rentals. in 2009 when we left because of loosing job, 87% were owner occupied. Neighborhood watch exists. Only real problem is parking as the streets were narrow in the days when these were built so if you have 2 vehicles or company, you have to pull up into the yard about a foot so there is clearance. Homes did not have sidewalks originally and so folks are putting them in slowly. all have Telephone/Electrical poles. lighting in neighborhood is good. Very safe area. Cross the street is the Gym as it sits right of the major street called Military drive that runs through town. Grocery stores are about .5 to .7 mi depending on which you prefer. Everything is in walking distance. At the corner of the manor is the major bus stop to pick up busing to go to neighboring towns or access BART across the bridge. Elementary school is less then 4 blocks, HS .5 mi and MS .5 mi. Really no crime rate unless one of the neighbor kids vandalizes something. No Drugs, Mixed balance of Racial Ethic backgrounds and some foreign born persons. I wish I could afford to come back home. Mix of professional people, business owners and retired. Some take care of lawns better then others. Originally each house had a Plate Sycamore in front that is susceptible to fungus, better to replace with a California Sycamore or Maple of some type in that each are from the same genus. Hope this helps. History in city is rich with culture. Higher then average on education in the adults as something like 83% or so if i recall right have at least some college education. many grad, post grad and doctoral degrees in the city and the neighborhood reflects that. original houses were on fuse system, most have been changed out to breakers. some are being rewired to upgrade from Knob and Tube.

Hope this helps you figure out what your looking for. I was a single mom when I moved in with a 9 yo son. I was very very happy there. If my husband had not lost his job as a HS teacher, we would still be there, as we wanted to retire and die there. 5 Buena Vista
April Tavares, Agent, Campbell, CA
Wed Jun 29, 2011
Great News! Congratulations. I hope you enjoy your new home for years to come..

April

April Tavares, GRI, ASP
Realtor®, DRE License #01742179
Montalvo Realty
Direct: 408-309-5471
Email: April@AprilTavares.com
On the web: http://www.AprilTavares.com
Twitter: http://www.Twitter.com/AprilTavares
Free Santa Clara County Market Trend Reports: http://april.rereport.com
Web Reference:  http://www.AprilTavares.com
Kellyclozano, Home Buyer, Benicia, CA
Wed Jun 29, 2011
Got it all figured out, talked to neighbors after I posted the question. Great neighborhood, I close at the end of July.
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Tue Jun 28, 2011
Forgive me if I sound sarcastic, but,
would you buy a car without driving it?
I have seen similar questions lately and I wonder why you wouldn't go walk around the neighborhood and talk to some people, meet your new neighbors, BEFORE you make an offer?

I would only trust MY judgement of the neighborhood: are there trucks parked on the front lawn, is one of the neighbors working on 20 cars or motorcycles in his driveway, does someone have a kennel in their backyard with 30 hunting dogs.....

This is not just an investment, this is where you are going to live.

good luck and may God bless
Kamal Randha…, Agent, El Sobrante, CA
Sun May 22, 2011
April Tavares, Agent, Campbell, CA
Sun May 22, 2011
Hi Kelly,

Give this website a try: http://www.city-data.com/

It may provide you with some of the answers you are looking for. I would also echo Anna's suggestion of driving by the neighborhood at different times. I would also suggest walking the neighborhood on a nice weekend day. Doing so, will enable you to speak with the neighbors as they are out and about in their yards or going about their day. Neighbors are typically very honest and a great source for neighborhood details.

April Tavares, GRI, ASP
REALTOR, DRE LIcense #01742179