Is it right for handicapped individuals to be treated unfairly?

Asked by Robert Frick, 73172 Mon Jul 16, 2012

The treatment that one amputee has had to endure while living in the Shadow Ridge community, and wants to know if it is right for their neighbors to treat them like that in Mustang, Oklahoma and what it might be like for fellow handicapped individuals:

a. Hostility by neighbors.
b. Neighbors trash and deface their property continuously.
c. Neighborhood children running amuck on their property even if they ask for the children to stop.
d. Being ignored by their shadow ridge hoa president.
e. Police not pursuing crimes committed against them.
f. Children throwing stuff at their house, particularly their windows.
g. Mail stolen and or opened by neighbors without their permission.
h. Neighbors damaging their fencing.
i. Untrue rumors told about them.
j. Stares and dirty looks by neighbors.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Jean Oxford, Agent, Branson, MO
Wed Sep 12, 2012

I am so sorry you are being treated this way. My husband and I have an adopted child that is handicapped. We have been through some of the situations you mentioned.

I can't help with all the problems but I have an idea for the mail being stolen. You can ask that the mail carrier deliver directly to the house. We have disabled renter's that have done this. When you purchase the box, get the kind that hooks directly onto the house and has a lock.

Remember HOA President's are elected.

Metropolitan Fair Housing Council, 1500 Northeast 4th St., Ste. 204, OKC, OK 73117 Phone: 405-232-3247

Legal Aid of OKlahoma- Phone: 405-521-1302 or 1-800-421-1641

Oklahoma Human Rights Commission, 2101 N. Lincoln Blvd., Room 480, OKC, OK 73105 Phone: 405-521-3441 or 1-888-456-2558

Good luck!
0 votes
Peggy Ramirez, Agent, Sycamore, IL
Mon Jul 16, 2012
The treatment you describe is a violation of Fair Housing. I urge you to report this to HUD, Fair Housing, Equal Opportunity - they administer laws that govern and prohibit discrimination.

Go to - - and file a complaint online.

Take care, I wish you well, Peggy Ramirez
0 votes
I am filing a claim in small claims court against the hoa. Not for damage awards, however to get the hoa to follow the rules as set forth in the hoa cc&r's. About 95% of what is not suppose to be violated in the hoa cc&r's is and has been violated by residents since I have lived there. I bought my house there under the assumption from the contract that it would be a great place to live. However, if a homeowner is going to be legally bound to follow the guidelines of the cc&r's, so should the hoa.Maybe it will send a message to other hoa's out there that there is only a single standard, not double standard to following the hoa cc&r's. After all, the hoa board members are homeowners as well, therefore I would like to believe that they would want a safe and secure place for themselves and their children.
Flag Mon Jul 23, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
In My Neighborhood in Mustang Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more