In the west ashley area of Charleston where is the safest place to purchase a residence that won't require flood insurance.

Asked by Jon Rushford, Port Jefferson Station, NY Sun May 29, 2011

Answers

13
Kim Kirkwood…, Agent, Westerville, OH
Fri Oct 21, 2011
Hi Jon,

A few West Ashley neighborhoods that are not in flood zones are Grand Oaks, Shadowmoss, and most of Ardmore. Other than that, most neighborhoods are partially in a flood zone. Feel free to email me a list of homes you are interested in in West Ashley (maybe ones you've found listed for sale on Trulia) and I will let you know which ones are in flood zones and which ones aren't on a case-by-case basis.

Kim Boulter
Realtor, Healthy Realty, Charleston, SC
kimkboulter@gmail.com
843-640-7799
Web Reference:  http://www.kimboulter.com
Ed Marill, Agent, Manhattan Beach, CA
Tue Sep 24, 2013
Hi Jon,
One of the things a good realtor can do is to show you the FEMA flood zone maps and review with you what neighborhoods lie in what particular flood zones. There are recent changes in flood zoning, so regardless of where you decide please make sure to either have a clear understanding of what the flood insurance would cost by speaking with a reputable insurer ahead of time, or by including a due diligence period so that after the contract is ratified, you have a few extra days to research and make sure those insurance rates are acceptable to you.
Ed Marill
843-822-3555
ed@marillteam.com
Ed Marill, Agent, Manhattan Beach, CA
Wed Sep 18, 2013
There are some great neighborhoods in West Ashley that don't great require flood insurance. We'd be happy to help you look at some homes in these neighborhoods. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

http://www.findacharlestonhome.com/
Roy DeHaven, Agent, Charleston, SC
Wed Nov 2, 2011
Most banks are now requiring flood insurance even if the property is not in a flood zone. You can go to FEMA.gov and type in an address to find out if a property is in a flood zone.
Kim Kirkwood…, Agent, Westerville, OH
Fri Oct 21, 2011
Hi Jon,

Kim Boulter
Realtor, Healthy Realty, Charleston, SC
kimkboulter@gmail.com
843-640-7799
Web Reference:  http://kimboulter.com
Lee Keadle, Agent, Charleston, SC
Mon Jun 6, 2011
I would worry less about what flood zone a house is in and more about the quality and elevation of the house you want to purchase. The age of the houses you are looking at will mean more than the location.... the newer the house, the higher the construction standards/codes were when it was built. A newer house is typically much cheaper to insure than an older house and will most likely be properly elevated so as to save in flood insurance and reduce the chance of loss.
Lee Keadle, Agent, Charleston, SC
Mon Jun 6, 2011
Barbara Newt…, Agent, Charleston, SC
Sun May 29, 2011
Many of my fellow Realtors have already given you the best general answer - it depends on where the residence is located in West Ashley. But I will at least give you one neighborhood specifically in answert to your question. The majority of homes in the Forest Lakes subdivision do not require flood insurance, except the ones in close proximity to the lake. That's only one neighborhood that would suit your needs....there are many more. If you would like to get more info on homes in West Ashley, please let me know - I specialize in that area, and would be happy to help you. Barbara Newton, The AgentOwnedRealtyCo. 843-810-9561
Imogene Thom…, Agent, Charleston, SC
Sun May 29, 2011
Jon, Flood insurance is just like car insurance. You may never have to use it, but are very glad you have it when it is needed. I would suggest that you place flood insurance on any home that you purchase, better safe than sorry. Contact your insurance company and ask them for suggestions for subdivisions that mandate only the minimum of flood insurance. Our home of fifteen years just had a flood zone change from "no flood insurance required" to FEMA requiring flood vents be installed in our two car garage in order to obtain flood insurance. The home that does not require flood insurance this year may very well require it next year. Buy the home that you love and shop for affordable insurance. Imogene Thomas
Broker Associate, CRS,GRI,ABR,SRES with Carolina One Real Estate. 843-860-2247
Web Reference:  http://www.ImogeneThomas.com
Connie Dittr…, Agent, Mt Pleasant, SC
Sun May 29, 2011
Jon,
Wish I could give you the answer you're looking for, but flood plains in Charleston can be tricky. Right now in West Ashley there are 476 homes for sale and they range in price from just over $30K to almost $2million! And among those some require flood insurance and some don't. It is case by case and when you decide on which area or areas you want to look at. then your Realtor can help you best determine which part of West Ashley is least likely to flood. I'd be happy to talk to you more about West Ashley. It's got some wonderful , family-oriented neighborhoods with some of the very best values in Charleston.
I hope you've found this information helpful. Best, Connie (843.475.7993)
Dick Greenlee, Agent, Charleston, SC
Sun May 29, 2011
The majority of West Ashley does NOT require flood insurance and the majority of neighborhoods are safe. If you have a specific price range or payment target, you can focus on all of the areas that meet your needs. My office and business are in West Ashley and I have lived in West Ashley for over 15 YEARS.

Feel free to call or email, if you'd like more specific information or search my website for your price range.

Dick Greenlee, Carolina One Real Estate
(843) 345 0382
http://Www.DickGreenlee.com
Dick Greenlee, Agent, Charleston, SC
Sun May 29, 2011

Dick Greenlee, Carolina One Real Estate
(843) 345 0382
http://Www.DickGreenlee.com
Dan Simon, Agent, Charleston, SC
Sun May 29, 2011
Jon,
West Ashley has many great neighborhoods and not all of them are in areas that would require flood insurance. Do you have a general price range in mind? What size home(sf, # of bedrooms & baths) would you like? If I can assist in any way please let me know. Dan Simon, Carolina One Real Estate. phone 843-303-1464 dsimon@carolinaone.com